Rest of the season?

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
User avatar
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by TW2-Beaver »

I can see both sides. Dorking etc would argue that the voting process was just made up by the league and unconstitutional (an argument which I suspect would equally have been made by some on here, had the vote gone the other way!) and that everybody is welcome to continue. If clubs want to opt-out, then fine, but you can't tell other clubs that they also can't continue. Just playing devils advocate...

I think the strongest argument against this merged north/south competition from a legal perspective is actually that by combining the two leagues and therefore increasing the operational costs to fulfil fixtures, clubs who may otherwise have wished to participate could be financially excluded from doing so, giving an unfair advantage to full-time clubs.

I really can't see this competition happening in any case.
Tony
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Tony »

I struggle to see how a team can get promoted in competition where a large number of teams are excluded on financial grounds. Would everyone be happy if Welling were promoted having won the mini league after being in last place at the end of season? Recruit players spare due to their own clubs inability to take part and start again?
Rob Overfield
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:49 am
Contact:

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Rob Overfield »

Lord Elpus wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:39 pm But it's simply just wrong. You can only be promoted on the back of having the credibility of a season where you have done brilliantly in the league you found yourself in at the start of that season. A hastily cobbled together compromise of a load of clubs who weren't happy with the outcome of a democratic vote does not provide such credibility.
(Doffs cap)
I agree with His Lordship...

A lot of the club’s reasons to continue apply to all clubs in Step 2, “for their supporters mental health” or “for the sponsors” and so on. Why are they different to all the other clubs? They’re not, they’re just desperate to play in the National League. Jacques and Gary are as desperate, but not at the price of the club. It’s all rather silly.
Lord Elpus
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Lord Elpus »

Yes, those kind of comments are particularly odious aren't they? Some people have unfirtunately sufferred real mental health issues because of the circumstances of the last year and to clutch at straws by making comments like that is just desperate. I'd have more respect if they were just more honest and said something along the lines of "because we have more money than sense, we see an opportunity to take advantage of a difficult situation."
Lord Elpus
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Lord Elpus »

Not sure if this has been noticed by anyone...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... sed-format
Shepperton Supporter
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Shepperton Supporter »

Ref the Guardian article. From what I have read there are some considerable hurdles to clear, funding being a major one. Would we be interested in a season restart ?
Tony
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Tony »

Can’t think we would as there is no funding. Just for the rich kids I think.
Lord Elpus
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Lord Elpus »

Tony wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 pm Can’t think we would as there is no funding. Just for the rich kids I think.
And that's why it's such a disgrace, and makes a mockery of the notion of a fair competition. The FA will be contemptible if this gets the go ahead.
Cliffp
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Cliffp »

Tony wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 pm Can’t think we would as there is no funding. Just for the rich kids I think.
Well you say that Tony but my understanding is that HM has found a bag of cash under the back seat of the club car during the annual service, Big Rich has made some money on eBay from the sale of the spare floodlight bulbs and Ian Dyer has returned the bag of unused match balls that may or may not have gone missing shortly after the departure of Dowse et al.
HamptonMad
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:56 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by HamptonMad »

I told you to keep quiet about the cash Cliff. I also found the 4 points we took off Dorking in The Club Car Boot. May try to sell them back to Marc White.
Tony
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Tony »

One suggestion I read, was that all the clubs should ask to play so that it is now a 43 team competition. We can put out a scratch team and bung up the works by having too many games to play.
Big Rich
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:40 pm

Re: Rest of the season?

Post by Big Rich »

Cliffp wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 pm
Tony wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 pm Can’t think we would as there is no funding. Just for the rich kids I think.
Well you say that Tony but my understanding is that HM has found a bag of cash under the back seat of the club car during the annual service, Big Rich has made some money on eBay from the sale of the spare floodlight bulbs and Ian Dyer has returned the bag of unused match balls that may or may not have gone missing shortly after the departure of Dowse et al.
That's right Cliff - should keep us going until pre-season friendlies, but not enough to participate in the National League South Promotion mini-league.
Post Reply