Hampton’s Heroes

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Rob Overfield

Ah Tony but you could use OCR technology to scan the text from the book, to give you a text file again, in a fraction of the time too.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Jamie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 pm
Tony wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:58 pm The book is about the last 20 years so not really covering players from before 2002.
I thought the centenary book was to cover the 100 years, wouldn't that be a better seller? Especially for the wider football audience? could also add things in that maybe didn't make it in to the previous book?
Not sure where you got that idea from as I have only ever said that it would be a second volume following on from the original book. There is a very limited market for such a book and many potential purchasers would be a little short changed if they were asked to pay for a book they had largely already bought. There really isn’t a lot more to add about the pre 2002 period. And more importantly, I no longer have the original on my computer and I am not typing that out again!

It was just an assumption I made. It is a "centenary" so I thought would cover the full 100 years.
I appreciate it's alot of work, but I don't think it is a limited market, the football market for these sort of publications is huge at the moment, people buying interesting books for any club. I'd happily look to use the project I've mentioned to you I'm working on to include in an overall larger publication, that way appealing to more people. The original book could be bulked out with interviews, more photos, stories etc.
I'm happy to help, but appreciate you will have put a hell of a lot of work in already.
Tony

Rob Overfield wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm Ah Tony but you could use OCR technology to scan the text from the book, to give you a text file again, in a fraction of the time too.
Thank you Rob for your unhelpful suggestion😉can’t say I have ever heard of OCR
Tony

Jamie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am
Tony wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Jamie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 pm

I thought the centenary book was to cover the 100 years, wouldn't that be a better seller? Especially for the wider football audience? could also add things in that maybe didn't make it in to the previous book?
Not sure where you got that idea from as I have only ever said that it would be a second volume following on from the original book. There is a very limited market for such a book and many potential purchasers would be a little short changed if they were asked to pay for a book they had largely already bought. There really isn’t a lot more to add about the pre 2002 period. And more importantly, I no longer have the original on my computer and I am not typing that out again!

It was just an assumption I made. It is a "centenary" so I thought would cover the full 100 years.
I appreciate it's alot of work, but I don't think it is a limited market, the football market for these sort of publications is huge at the moment, people buying interesting books for any club. I'd happily look to use the project I've mentioned to you I'm working on to include in an overall larger publication, that way appealing to more people. The original book could be bulked out with interviews, more photos, stories etc.
I'm happy to help, but appreciate you will have put a hell of a lot of work in already.
The book is now largely written and hopefully will be available on the 100th birthday in May.
Rob Overfield

Tony wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:56 am
Rob Overfield wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm Ah Tony but you could use OCR technology to scan the text from the book, to give you a text file again, in a fraction of the time too.
Thank you Rob for your unhelpful suggestion😉can’t say I have ever heard of OCR
Optical character recognition... apologies. It scans a printed text and converts that image back into text, saving hours at the keyboard.