Hampton’s Heroes

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Rob Overfield

Those who’ve been downloading the programmes will have seen the series on “Hampton’s Heroes”, those players selected by the Club Historian, recognising in our Centenary Year those people who have had an important role in the club’s history, or those who have made their mark on the field.

I am now getting to the people in the 70’s, having just featured Joe Andrews.

The next programme, if it happens, will cover Roy Philpott and my next Heroes will be Peter Allen and Perry Tunesi, whom I know a few of you will remember. Perry has been kind enough to share some recollections and so I can look to the next name on the list.

If you have any memories about the following people, I would be very grateful:

Tim Hollands
Malcolm Dickenson
& Steve Cheshire

Following that, I’ll be covering Bob Hayes, Alan Devonshire, Steve McPherson, Alan Dowson, Jamal Lowe, and finally Alan Simpson.

The Club Historian has made some good choices and very interesting ones too...

Many thanks for any help.
Jamie

Surely Darren Powell has to be on there!
Greatest ever success to come out of the club.
Goes on to play and score in the Premier league.
Then comes all the way back down to become player/manager at Hampton.

I think he is now coaching in America.

I still can't see how he's not on the mural in the bar.

Absolute legend and was an absolute beast on the pitch!

Got to be a fair few more deserving names from 100 years of the club.
Lord Elpus

Jamie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:32 am Surely Darren Powell has to be on there!

Great shout re Darren Powell. A less than impressive joint managerial spell shouldn't detract from a great playing record.
Rob Overfield

Not my choices, it was the Club Historian who compiled them. Debate the matter when you see him next....
HamptonMad

No because there players you have never watched.
Rob Overfield

HamptonMad wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:55 am No because there players you have never watched.
I know that. The same can be said for the one selecting the list.

So are you saying you’re not going to help?
Jamie

Lord Elpus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 am
Jamie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:32 am Surely Darren Powell has to be on there!

Great shout re Darren Powell. A less than impressive joint managerial spell shouldn't detract from a great playing record.

Or look at it a positive way. Despite being a pro and playing at the top, he was still willing to drop all the way back down, to carry on playing.
Became joint manager during a poor time for the club. Also resigned when realising he was struggling.

Cant see any negatives at all.
Jamie

Rob Overfield wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:44 am Not my choices, it was the Club Historian who compiled them. Debate the matter when you see him next....
Dont get so defensive Rob.
I'm not having a go at you.
Everyone will have different favourites. You probably remember Darren for a negative period. I remember him as watched him in his first spell when I was still at school. He was immense.

Les will have his favourites as everyone will. Tbf to Les, with the time he has spent involved at the club, he probably struggles to limit a list to under 50 names.

In my opinion you'd have the likes of Les, the Mann family, Malcolm Taylor, Duddys, Penny's etc equally linked to large contributions to the club.
Rob Overfield

Jamie
I'm sure Les thought hard about his choices, plus I didn't mean it to sound defensive, its the nature of the written word I guess.

To get it back on topic, does anoyone have any memories or stories about Tim Hollands, Malcolm Dickenson and Steve Cheshire that they'd be happy to share. You would be credited in the article, but I can't use Forum pseudonyms, I believe in giving credit properly.

Now that there's no games to cover and so less news, its even more important that the series is finished for everyone to enjoy. I'm hoping the media director will allow me to post them onto the website for you all.
Shepperton Supporter

Having been out of action for a few weeks I read with interest, the comments about heroes of the past. Before the memories fade, it might be given a thought to look back into the junior football days . Shirley does keep in contact with some and several like Jackie Cooper made the transition to senior level.
I am sure they have been covered elsewhere, but Bob Tomlin and Alan Duddy would be into this category.
HamptonMad

Bob Tomlin wonderful man who collected newspaper to raise money for the Club in the 60s. Alan Duddy did so much work for the Club. Remember laying the covered Stand terrace with him. As Shep says both should not be forgotten. Good to see you back Shep.
Rob Overfield

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm Having been out of action for a few weeks I read with interest, the comments about heroes of the past. Before the memories fade, it might be given a thought to look back into the junior football days . Shirley does keep in contact with some and several like Jackie Cooper made the transition to senior level.
I am sure they have been covered elsewhere, but Bob Tomlin and Alan Duddy would be into this category.
Although I’d already covered Jakie Cooper, I’d be interested in hearing his memories and thoughts.

Although the features are all online somewhere, I’ve been toying with the idea of putting them together in a slim book, similar to a programme, which would be a nice memento of the centenary season.