Next season promotions & relegations

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
RogerSW

I'm not sure how it will work out next season, though we should have 24 teams in all three National League divisions for season 22/23, if we manage to get a season in this time.

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 3854814211
E3chOF_WQAwlKMC.jpg
Shepperton Supporter

Whilst it might be a little premature, as a bit of fun it might be worth suggestions by contributors to this forum as to where they see clubs in our league might finish in the coming season. Already we see certain clubs making significant signings whilst others seem to be losing players.
If folk are interested, then perhaps early July start?
TW3 Beaver

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:45 pm Whilst it might be a little premature, as a bit of fun it might be worth suggestions by contributors to this forum as to where they see clubs in our league might finish in the coming season. Already we see certain clubs making significant signings whilst others seem to be losing players.
Were you looking at us predicting the finishing positions from top to bottom?

I'd be interested in that.

Maybe have a cut off point of the Friday before the first games of the 21/2 season, for predictions to be in.
Shepperton Supporter

TW3 Beaver wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:08 am [quote="Shepperton Supporter" post_id=823 time=<a href="tel:1623253545">1623253545</a> user_id=70]
Whilst it might be a little premature, as a bit of fun it might be worth suggestions by contributors to this forum as to where they see clubs in our league might finish in the coming season. Already we see certain clubs making significant signings whilst others seem to be losing players.
Were you looking at us predicting the finishing positions from top to bottom?

I'd be interested in that.

Maybe have a cut off point of the Friday before the first games of the 21/2 season, for predictions to be in.
[/quote]6

Sounds a reasonable idea, perhaps have the cut off on the Monday following the last preseason game?
Stanwell Beaver

Studying the relegation issue, it's understood now that only 3 teams will be relegated from Step Two at the end of the coming season, the odd number due to the fact we only have 21 teams in the South. Presumably a PPG sum will have to be done to ensure fairness is covered off and the 'worst' three sides from step two go down? With eight teams being promoted from step three, then we'll be up to 24 teams each in the North and South for 2022/23 season..so a couple more games.
Stanwell Beaver

So studying the relegation issue, it's clear now that only three sides will be relegated from Step Two at the end of the coming season - wonder whether they'll have to invoke some kinda' PPG ruling to ensure the 'worst' three sides from step two are relegated, given the disparity in numbers. But probably will end up being two from the North and only one from the South. Then eight teams will be promoted, bringing step two up to 24 teams per division, so a couple more games from the 2022/23 campaign.
Tony

Suspect relegation will be the bottom two clubs plus the club with the worst record across the two divisions. How that is worked out I don’t know but PPG must be the only fair way. I can’t see the league agreeing a formula where all three relegated teams could come from one division.
Jamie

I never get why people think PPG is fair.
Clubs have played different opposition, it's crazy.

As for step 2 increasing to 24 clubs, already struggle to fit games in with bad weather and clubs having good cup runs.
Still, it's not as ridiculous as the 6 club playoff format, with two clubs getting a bye at the first stage.
Big Rich

Stanwell Beaver wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 pm So studying the relegation issue, it's clear now that only three sides will be relegated from Step Two at the end of the coming season - wonder whether they'll have to invoke some kinda' PPG ruling to ensure the 'worst' three sides from step two are relegated, given the disparity in numbers. But probably will end up being two from the North and only one from the South. Then eight teams will be promoted, bringing step two up to 24 teams per division, so a couple more games from the 2022/23 campaign.
The tweet says 3 relegated ‘per division’, i.e. 6 in total at Step 2.
RogerSW

Good contingency planning by Isthmian and other leagues for next season's promotions and relegations just in case. If the season completes, great, if not, they have a plan.
Need the National League Step 2 to do similar.

" ISTHMIAN League chairman Nick Robinson says it will be scandalous if Covid contin gency plans aren't formulated ahead of the 2021-22 season as the Alliance Leagues Com mittee continues to search for a solution.

Steps 3 and 4 have seen the last two campaigns ended early due to the pan- demic and without any promotion or relegation movement.

The Alliance Leagues Com mittee, made up of representa tives from the National League, Northern Premier League, Isth mian League, Southern League, in conjunction with leagues at Steps 5 and 6 have been working with The FA Executive to devise what is to happen next season in the event of more interruptions.

Their primary objective is to ensure promotion and relegation at all Steps throughout the pyra mid this season.

Following discussions with The FA Executive, it has been agreed that if spectators are not allowed then football at Steps 3 and 4 will not go ahead unless there is Government grant fund ing in place.

It has been proposed that, in the event of geographical lockdowns, such as the Tier system intro duced before last Christmas, then leagues will manage the situation for as long as possible. This would mean the whole of Steps 3 and 4 wouldn't have to be shut down just because there is a lockdown in one particular region.

The main issue surrounds the trigger point for permitting pro- motion and relegation.

It is intended to be a percentage of games completed across a Step with final tables calculated on an unweighted points-per-game

OR

basis whereby the champion and runner-up will be promoted and there will be no play-offs.

Trigger point

If the agreed percentage of matches cannot be completed then it would trigger an alter- nate competition. Currently, that would see each division split into two geographical sub-divisions with matches being played either home and away or just one match

against each club. Once those matches have been completed, the division would be reformed and a table calculated from the data of the matches played to create a final table after which there would be a "Cham pions League" style play-off for promotion and relegation from each division.

If a season cannot be com- pleted even with the alternate competition, then the aggregate points-per-game from seasons 2019-2020, 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 may be used to decide promotion and relegation.

The Alliance Leagues Commit- tee will meet again on Wednes- day to try and agree a percentage trigger, point and the final decision will rest with The FA Council on July 22.

"We've got to show we have learned from what's happened," Robinson told The NLP "We've got data, two seasons worth of ex perience and had the big survey out to clubs.

"Not to have anything in place before a ball is kicked would in my view be scandalous.

"I'm determined it will be. I was very cross last year that we didn't do it because I said at our AGM on August 1 that we would do it and it was only fair we should." "
Shepperton Supporter

League fixtures are set to be released at 1pm on 7th July.