Review of the Season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
ExRef

Agree that Desbois and Fernandez would be high on most fans’ retention list. They have been star performers for Beavers throughout the season. What we can’t rule out is that other clubs will have noticed this and they could be subject to possible transfer to higher placed clubs.
Shepperton Supporter

Thanks Josh for a very comprehensive analysis of the squad. It will give us all material to comment on. The vast majority of your comments I would agree with. As he was the manager’s player of the year. I would expect Deadfield to remain.
Tony

Josh, I share your analysis almost exactly. We need different options in midfield and up front and players who can stay fit and available more of the time. And we need some experience in vital positions. Dreyer would be a good signing but also need an experienced third CB. I too would pass on Bloomfield, only came to life in a couple of games and injured far too often. Midfield needs a complete revamp but I fear we may end up with many of the same faces. We need more pace and bite and more width. Bringing in two or three players doesn’t feel like it’s going to change too much unless they are exceptional for this level.
EastTerracer

Agree with Josh2002's assessment. However, if Hunt's injuries were behind him I think he made quite a difference when in the team.
Shepperton Supporter

Looking at these assessments I think there is a measure of agreement from most of the contributors. As for the shopping list. A central defender preferably left sided would be ideal. If he could cover left back even better. Midfield does need revamp. As a Tony pointed out the need to introduce a fresh dimension in this area. I would like to see a player who can shield the back four but in possession can use the ball constructively. Ideally alongside him a player who can spread the ball to open up defences. Anifowese could do this role if no one available? Up front I share the comments on Bloomfield looking at his history he rarely plays more than 20 odd games. Another striker would be necessary to replace or offer an alternative. A wide player would help unlock defence systems.
It all revolves around the budget, but if we fail to recruit at the right level and another mid table season occurs, then where does our owner’s plans sit?
Mucky knees

Josh 2022, you've forgotten our #3!

MK
Shepperton Supporter

Mucky knees wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:35 am Josh 2022, you've forgotten our #3!

MK
[/quote

Assuming you mean Donaldson? If so read section” rest of squad” paragraph two.
Mucky knees

It's quite a read though not as long as Tony's posting. Easy to overlook some facts.

MK
TW10

For me Donaldson is a good left back but an ineffective wide midfield player as he has no real pace or creativity and carries no attacking threat. Which means we have 3 good left backs in Donaldson, Pitblado and Wishart. This is one of the clear imbalances in the squad. For me Wishart is easily the best player which is bourne out by his pedigree. Bit clearly something has happened behind the scenes to make Mel go with Pitblado and he has done well. Is it coincidence out long unbeaten run happened with Wishart and Inman, two excellent and experienced players playing every week?..Anyway in my mind we need new options wide down both flanks in the mould of Brendon Kiernon. That’s one thing Dowson got right, he played with pace down the flanks and with the likes of Lowe, Kiernon, Kabamba, Napa, Jeffers, Hudson-odoi he had a good eye for a stinker/winger and his sides at Hampton were never short of goals.
TW10

And Kretchmar should be added to the list..
Shepperton Supporter

I will keep an eye on retained list of clubs in our league, national league and even in the league. In particular those players who have played under Paul Tisdale or Mel. As a reminder that’s why we got Seymour.
tones

Can't understand why if I have read some fans comments correctly Hampton didn't play their best team in the closing stages of the season with the play-offs their for the taking. If it is true that the manager didn't play certain players because they won't be up for Monday morning training next season or he finds them difficult it's even harder to accept the fact that Hampton threw their season away.