Review of the Season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

Ref Roberts, he seems to been a regular over the last few games, I know he got suspended as well. Think with the poor results at Havant caused by management changes in part, changes in tactics plus numerous squad changes it was not good for a player of his ability.
Like Tony I would be happy to see him at Beveree, next season. True he will have other offers, but if we are interested it might be a statement of intent by the club.
geedub

I agree on James Roberts - he was impressive when he was with us and it was a pity he got recalled when he did. Something seems to have gone wrong with him this season at Havant but I think he still got 8 goals. He was with us during Gary's reign, I believe, so Mel may not be so familiar with him but hopefully, the knowledge gets passed around.
Shepperton Supporter

As for Roberts, it depends from whom Mel gets his information. Most of us who saw him play were very impressed. I presume the player would want to stay at this level. He may have other options to consider.
Clubs will be talking to their own players as well as sounding out potential signings. Mel will be no different, it might be that the changes in training might introduce more of a player turnover but I am sure this factor has been included in his calculations. Full time players are more expensive, it might be that we have a slightly smaller squad without players with poor injury records.
We all await player news!
geedub

Found a short interview with Roberts talking about his spell at the Beavers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxqcwb03ak
Seems very positive about his experience with the club which might be a good sign if we did try to lure him.
Shepperton Supporter

Agree very positive and who knows. Might be wrong but think he is friends with Jake Gray.
Jamie

I recommended James Roberts to the previous management after seeing him on loan at Alvechurch in the Midlands, Hampton couldn't afford him at the time, but later got him on loan.
He's a class act.
Shepperton Supporter

We are beginning to see the retained list of clubs in the national league if they have finished their fixtures. It is around this time of the year that managers are working hard to get signings over the line. One early move is Norville- Williams a left back from Farnborough to Dorking . Got a feeling that Dorking will be looking to recruit the best players in our league for a swift return!?
Josh2002

It will be interesting to see how quick we are with retaining players this season given how quickly everything was sorted last season.
BevereeMaster

Tommy Willard been released from Aldershot, done well at this level before, could be a good option up top
Shepperton Supporter

Josh2002 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm It will be interesting to see how quick we are with retaining players this season given how quickly everything was sorted last season.
[/quote
Agree it would help this is done quickly.
I noticed that Dorking have lost their keeper!
TW10

Norville-Williams gave Raven a torrid time and Raven is quick, strong and a very good player
Shepperton Supporter

A few thoughts on this.
Last season one of the last players to commit was Fernandez , hope we get good news soon.
Our retained list might be soon?
Barnet lost heavily in their playoff today, their retention list might be of interest to Mel?
Tommy Willard is not that tall, more of a winger?
Couple of players released or open to offers in the Woking list who were quite impressive when I last saw them.