Robbie Brownett

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

Sad news to report this evening I'm afraid...

I heard over the weekend from Robbie's brother Jonathan that he has unfortunately passed away at home.

Robbie was a long time stalwart of the club-supporter, volunteer, barman, committee member, supporter's team organiser, general ground helper, parking assistant and probably numerous other roles as well in decades of supporting the club, from his first game in 1966.

Robbie was well known around local football and for many years was often the first person from the club that many new supporters encountered on their first visit to the Bev. This really does feel like the end of an era and if anyone deserves a minutes silence or applause then it must be him.

I'm sure everyone would want to send their best wishes to his brother Jonathan and the rest of his family.

Arrangements for funeral etc aren't known yet but Jonathan will update me when this can be announced.

Rob Brownett, RIP.
Tony

Oh no, incredibly sad news. I knew Robbie hadn’t been to many games recently but had no idea. A truly great club character. I’m sure there are many stories to be told. Hope the club acknowledges him in the right way.
Josh2002

Very sad news, RIP Robbie, thoughts are with his family.
TW3 Beaver

Very sad news.
I wouldn't be going too far to say he was a Hampton Legend.
RIP Robbie.
BeaverWatcher

Very sad to hear of Robbie's passing.

From my very first trip through the Beveree turnstiles in 1990 Robbie has been a constant presence in the fabric of the club since then.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends at this time.
Tracey

So sad to hear of Robbie’s passing. He was like one of the fixtures and fittings of the club. Not sure there was a role that he hadn’t done apart from play or managed! I have been going to the club for just under 50 years now and he was always there along with Dick Parsons. Sad day for the club, RIP Robbie xxx
Les1949

Robbie, the man on the gate in my early days and has been a constant presence at Beveree until very recently. I won't have him stopping me and asking about whether I recalled a particular incident, or had I seen a film on Talk TV which had a speedway clip/ football scene, or had I heard about the passing of an ex-Beaver.....Another bit of Hampton history no longer with us, RIP.
HamptonLifer5

Really sad news, thoughts with his family and friends. RIP Robbie.
Shepperton Supporter

Agree very sad news, as has already been commented he has been a fixture at the club for longer than most people can remember. Think I first met him in the late 60s or early 70s.Saw him at least once at Brentford during this time. It would be fitting for the club to mark his contribution over the years. Any idea of funeral arrangements?
Lord Elpus

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:34 am Agree very sad news, as has already been commented he has been a fixture at the club for longer than most people can remember. Think I first met him in the late 60s or early 70s.Saw him at least once at Brentford during this time. It would be fitting for the club to mark his contribution over the years. Any idea of funeral arrangements?
No news of funeral arrangements yet Shep, although his brother will let me know. When he tells me I will post it here.
ExRef

Yes sad news - missed him at recent matches and around Sunbury. He did so much for the Beavers, including the “200 Club” fund raiser. And wasn’t he part of “that goal” against Staines at Wheatsheaf Lane?
Les1949

ExRef wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 pm Yes sad news - missed him at recent matches and around Sunbury. He did so much for the Beavers, including the “200 Club” fund raiser. And wasn’t he part of “that goal” against Staines at Wheatsheaf Lane?
THE GOAL THAT NEVER WAS
Staines Town 0 Hampton 1
Middlesex Charity Cup Semi-Final Replay 7th May 1970
It is 0-0 and the game is in its last stages, big crowd, no floodlights at Wheatsheaf Lane and light is fading. Staines keeper, Archer, in attempting a clearance, kicks the ball against Brian Myers, the ball loops up into the air and rolls into the net. Goal!!

The reaction of the Staines players was immediate. Referee Davies is instantly surrounded by angry players, the linesman who gave the goal finds himself on the floor after being shoved over. The crowd look on in amazement, what on earth has caused the confrontations. The Referee and Linesman consult, goal awarded and the ball is placed on the centre spot. Staines are still arguing and their forward kicks the ball back to the Staines goal (remember that in the past, the ball had to be played forward from a kick-off). Referee replaces the ball. Again and again, the ball is kicked backwards. Eventually after a delay of some 10 minutes the game resumes.
So, let us imagine we have VAR. ………
Archer…clears the ball… it strikes Myers….loops up. Hang on! The ball clears the crossbar and rolls down the back of the net. Then a young Hampton supporter picks up the ball, lifts up the unsecured net and slips it under. No goal! However, in the fading light, the officials are deceived into thinking the goal was legally scored. No wonder the Staines players were apoplectic. Soon after the restart Staines maybe should have had a penalty but the shouts for handball were waived away. Hampton win 1-0 and go on to win the final.
Staines’s finest ‘boys in blue’ turned up to ensure that everyone behaved themselves and went home in the dusk.
The Old Historian
NB I am grateful to Alan Simpson’s version of the incident (recorded in Vol 1 of the Club’s History).