New Manager

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

We can only go so far on sentiment and enthusiasm but let’s see what signings we can bring in which might tell us about budget and contacts. When Dowse left, Gary McCann could at least call upon a number of players from his old club. The current situation is looking more akin to when Ian McDonald took over with only a couple of players left, only Dudley Gardner with any first team pedigree.
BeaverWatcher

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:18 pm Just watched his interview. He knows the club which is a plus. Thought he had a building firm, if so, then will that cease? One question is are we going over to morning training or still the hybrid system?
My initial reaction is that they have little experience at this level as coaches. Time will tell.
I'd imagine with all of the changes we may be going back to the traditional system of training Tuesday and Thursday. Potentially there may be the opportunity for players who can train during the day to join in academy sessions maybe?
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:39 pm We can only go so far on sentiment and enthusiasm but let’s see what signings we can bring in which might tell us about budget and contacts. When Dowse left, Gary McCann could at least call upon a number of players from his old club. The current situation is looking more akin to when Ian McDonald took over with only a couple of players left, only Dudley Gardner with any first team pedigree.
What happened the next season?
Lord Elpus

Tony wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:39 pm We can only go so far on sentiment and enthusiasm but let’s see what signings we can bring in which might tell us about budget and contacts. When Dowse left, Gary McCann could at least call upon a number of players from his old club. The current situation is looking more akin to when Ian McDonald took over with only a couple of players left, only Dudley Gardner with any first team pedigree.
The Ian McDonald season is a very good comparison. I think the advantage Jules will have is that he does at least know the level and the standards required. Ian Mcdonald had never managed this far down and had hardly any budget either, which wasn't a good mix. It was easy to see, right from the off, that his season wasn't going to go well. The lack of experience in the management team does surprise me a bit...I thought there might be an older hand amongst them.
Shepperton Supporter

Would agree with Lord E , I was hoping for one experienced person to help. It might be that finances dictated these appointments. One thing is certain this management team are a lot cheaper that their predecessors! Hope these savings might help the playing budget!
RogerB

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:02 pm Would agree with Lord E , I was hoping for one experienced person to help. It might be that finances dictated these appointments. One thing is certain this management team are a lot cheaper that their predecessors! Hope these savings might help the playing budget!
Am I correct in thinking the rest of the management team have also gone - the French fitness coach, the ex-SAS chief of staff, the statistical analyst? I ask because I always had the impression that these appointments were imposed on Mel by the brothers rather than being his own choices. And is Steve Bates still employed by the club?
Shepperton Supporter

Interesting question Roger , nothing said, would think it likely they may have gone? It is looking like a very much streamlined overhead which is not a bad thing as it was so bloated last season and a reason why some much cash was spent .
As for Steve Bates, perhaps returning to academy? Wonder about physio duties, still lots of gaps in information.

Am sure Alan is working hard to retain and recruit players that will make or break our season. Will get news in due time? Think several players might have been on two year contracts so they should stay, their wage commitment might be an inhibiting factor in recruitment?
Tony

RogerB wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:38 am
Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:02 pm Would agree with Lord E , I was hoping for one experienced person to help. It might be that finances dictated these appointments. One thing is certain this management team are a lot cheaper that their predecessors! Hope these savings might help the playing budget!
Am I correct in thinking the rest of the management team have also gone - the French fitness coach, the ex-SAS chief of staff, the statistical analyst? I ask because I always had the impression that these appointments were imposed on Mel by the brothers rather than being his own choices. And is Steve Bates still employed by the club?
Can't help you on that one but Mel was very driven by the stats analysis so think that appointment wasn't imposed. Jim Menday was not part of the coaching staff but hard to see how his role remains justified unless he is doing it very cheaply.
Shepperton Supporter

Looking back on our history another situation when we promoted internally with Harper /Barry who got sacked and Dowse rode in to rescue! I hope history does not repeat itself.
Tony

Not quite true. Paul Barry took over from Harper at the back of the 13/14 season and then had a decent season in tandem with Darren Powell in 14/15. They left in early 15/16 season after a poor start.
Josh2002

Tony, I think you are one year out with all of your years. Barry and Powell were appointed on 3 April 2013, and in their only full season guided us to a moderate 12th placed finish in 13-14, 19 points off the playoffs, with a run to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, losing to Gloucester, after home wins over Ashford Town, Bedford and Arlesey. They left in September 2014, after a FA Cup defeat to VCD.
Tony

I should read my book rather trying to remember!