Rest of the season?

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Rob Overfield

I fear it may be all over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55818377

Interesting point in it...

“When they agreed to start the season in October, National League clubs thought a promise of funding, which started with £10m from the National Lottery for the period up to the end of December, was to cover the entire season, not just the first third of it.

However, after speaking to numerous sources about the key conversations that did take place between government officials and representatives from the National League and Football Association, BBC Sport understands that neither the words 'grants' or 'loans' were used - and that differing interpretations have been put on the phrase 'future funding'.“

Hmmmm.
Lord Elpus

So basically someone isn't telling the truth and is now backtracking then? Was it grants originally, was it loans originally, or have the league just consistently got it wrong and given the clubs misinterpreted information? No-one comes out of this well do they? With a government who consistently u-turn, who knows who to trust anyway?
Whatever the case, the season looks doomed. Shame, I thought we were looking like real playoff contenders...
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Lord Elpus wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 amWhatever the case, the season looks doomed. Shame, I thought we were looking like real playoff contenders...
Agree that the season looks doomed either way, however, surely the precedent established last season is that playoffs will proceed based on points per game in the event of the season being scrapped? In which case we would qualify based on current standings...?
Tony

I am pretty sure the issue is between the NL executive and the DCMS. The £10M Lottery money now seems to be in the form of grants and certainly the clubs all understood that to be the case otherwise they would not have started the season. The current issue is what was to follow after the first tranche of funding expired at the end of December and what the clubs were told by the NL board. I hope someone at either the NL or the DCMS has an audit trail to prove their position is correct about what was agreed or intended. As I have said before, it is hard to justify taxpayers funding NL clubs given the relatively small supporter base involved and the competing demands from more deserving causes during the pandemic. The more logical step if we are considered elite was to cut a deal with the Premier League who have supported the EFL financially. As the DCMS has pointed out, football is rich enough to support its own through the pandemic without needing to tap into public funding. If there is not a convincing enough case for the football community to support the NL then hard to see why the taxpayer should do it unless it was in the form of a soft loan or similar. All of this should have been obvious back in the summer. The only way I see this mess being resolved with a continuation of the league is if it can be shown that the DCMS was clearly at fault in its representations to the NL.
Lord Elpus

Confirmed in parliament as loans for the rest of the season, with grants available for clubs "if their immediate future is at risk."
I guess that's that then...
Let's hope for PPG.
HamptonMad

Boris found out that a lot of players were furloughed from there main job and getting paid. And then getting more government money for playing part time Football disgusting. With over 100,000 dead and 40,000 in hospital the season has to end.
Lord Elpus

HamptonMad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:23 pm Boris found out that a lot of players were furloughed from there main job and getting paid. And then getting more government money for playing part time Football disgusting. With over 100,000 dead and 40,000 in hospital the season has to end.
Where did you read that HM?
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

HamptonMad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:23 pm Boris found out that a lot of players were furloughed from there main job and getting paid. And then getting more government money for playing part time Football disgusting. With over 100,000 dead and 40,000 in hospital the season has to end.
Not sure I follow this... if you have two jobs, and one of your employers places you on furlough, but the other (football) doesn't, that isn't really your fault...?

In any case, the season will almost certainly come to an end.
HamptonMad

Yes but the football wages came from Gov and lotto money.
Tony

NL clubs have been invited to meet with the DCMS today and Tuesday to find out about the proposed terms for loans and thereafter will have some sort of vote on the continuation of the season. Step 1 and Step 2 NL clubs will have a separate vote but not clear if this a simple majority decision or could possibly allow some clubs to drop out or continue. No clarity on what happens to the league, promotion, relegation etc. No doubt details will emerge.
HamptonMad

Lord Elpus wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Where did you read that HM?
On Radio 4 my Lord. Michael Gove. Government have also said clubs can still get grants and loans if they are willing to open and show there books. And loans are 2% interest.
Mucky knees

For there read their!

MK