Oxford City Home Saturday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

Big Rich wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:05 pm
Shepperton Supporter wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:15 pm After such a poor performance in the second half, it is worrying that we are going backwards as a club. I did feel that towards the end of the game that chins dropped and the final goal was a catalogue of errors. Oxford did a professional job on us, they targeted Amate in the second half and pressured him into a penalty error. They delayed our penalty which worked in their
favour.
Gary talks about building for next year, there is a lot of work to do. Think he wants some loans to become permanent, at present not sure who I would be that happy with, Roberts may settle in and might fulfill a role, it would then depend on who plays alongside him and our formation.
We need experience defenders now, too many attacks consist of a long ball which at best is 50/50 . Hopefully we will stave off relegation.
Only last place goes down. I suspect we already have enough points to avoid that.
Isn't there a possibility of the second from bottom club ending up going down too? (Or something?) We've probably got enough points to even avoid that, but it makes it a bit riskier...
Josh2002

Think it was confirmed earlier in the season that it would only be the bottom placed team in nln and nls that go down.
Shepperton Supporter

There has been quite a lot of talk about central defenders, I noted that Ruddick is still shown on the the programe and retains the no 2 shirt. He has not played at all this season, wonder what is the situation as to whether we will see him again?
Tony

Er, no.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:56 pmEr, no.
Thanks Tony just wondered why we still have him listed and his shirt has not been reallocated .
Tony

I am just guessing but not aware that he has even trained this season so very unlikely.
TW10

Hopefully the signing of the new winger will allow Jake Gray to play centrally where he can be more effective. I really wish the manger would encourage the group to play more through the midfield and getter better ball to Robinson and Roberts etc . We played great football early in the season. Recently it has been hit and hope and is pretty awful to watch at times. Results tell us it isn't working either
tones

Why have things gone so wrong of late with the team. Poor man management. Lack of money to bolster the playing staff. Use of loan players who are only ever going to be a stop gap. Fans keep saying we should be planning for next season. Surely we planned for this season and it all went wrong.
DanielNotley

I agree with this, you can’t run a club regarding loan players, this makes the team unsettled, Hampton fans are patient and don’t like changes however something needs to change or fill we will slip away slowly further into Non League...
Tony

I’m not hearing any issues around money albeit we are never going to compete financially with some of the clubs in this division. The salary savings we have made on the departures of Wassmer, Slew, Gondoh, Cox, Muir and others should ordinarily allow us to get in some decent level players. Roberts is in that category although another loan. Rebuilding in mid season is difficult with good players under contract and many clubs chasing the same names. Turnover in players is an inevitable part of non league but we seem to have dismantled a team we expected to see challenging around the play offs and that begs a number of questions.
Shepperton Supporter

What Tony says is right the budget has some spare. We are not going to get vast numbers of new players, but just a couple of the right caliber and we should be ok. Gary talks about preparing for next season let’s hope he can start soon otherwise it’s going to be a pretty miserable end to our season.