Staines Town

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

It seems they are hosting a travelers event from April to October. It will involve football matches every day, travelers will be able to bring caravans and horses. Look on the clubs forum, not very happy folk, worried about the pitch.
https://mobile.twitter.com/StainesTownF ... 4670242816

https://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/s ... hread/9269
Stanwell Beaver

I cannot believe this is not just a hissy-fit ruse from the absent owner (who now works and resides in the USA). There's no such thing as the 'Travellers Cup' and even FIFA couldn't organise a tournament with "a game day for six months" FHS!! I believe this is just a childish threat to dump caravans, horses etc... on the Thames Club, in order to upset them - I believe there's "no love lost' between the two parties, to say the least!
What a circus!! Imagine what the Wheatsheaf Lane Resident's Association are thinking???
Lord Elpus

Wow, that's awful. Feel very sorry for the Staines players and fans. But what a very bizarre statement. I bet it isn't up there long as I would have thought Lawyers would be very interested...
Shepperton Supporter

Think it has already been removed. A full write up is on the Griffin Park Grapevine under Staines .

Agree a bizarre statement.
Tony

Sounds like the end for Staines Town. Presumably the owner is looking for a reason to throw in the towel but this seems a bizarre one to say the least. If they refuse to play their fixtures the league will have to sanction them in some way.
Tony

Story now appearing on BBC London News no less. Just seems another move in a long- running dispute between the club and its landlord. Sprinkle a bit of Russian sanctions busting on the situation and hope something will fall into your lap. Probably a writ for libel I suspect!
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

The only (half) logical explanation that I could arrive at, is that this statement could be designed to goad the owners of the Thames Club to instruct the Thames Club to kick Staines Town out of Wheatsheaf Park, allowing them to claim unfair eviction and take the Thames Club to task over it with the council and get their ground back from them. Perhaps that is why they have stated they won't play competitive fixtures.

I know that's really far fetched but I can't see any other point to it... its detailed enough that it doesn't seem like the work of someone who just doesn't care anymore and wants out. Who knows.

If, as I suspect, our great rivals go out of business this summer and some of their supporters try to set something up from scratch, I think our club should offer them a friendly match with all profits going to help set up their new club. Sad state of affairs all round.
Tony

Looking at the last club accounts published (to 30 March 2020 so pre Covid 19 impact on all clubs), they made a loss of £189,000 in the two years of the new ownership, having taken over from Matthew Boon in 2018. There is a directors's loan of nearly £159,000 which I can only surmise is from Joe Dixon. There are no assets worth speaking of. Whilst having no idea of Dixon's ability to keep funding at this level, I suspect this is just another case of new owner rapidly running out of road. Picking a constant fight with your landlord is very unlikely to result in a happy outcome and escalating to the national press looks like the last desperate roll of the dice.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

We should be offering Staines Town a groundshare next season if they lose WP (and frankly the rest of this season if they will not play at WP). Free of charge but Hampton run the bar. Win win.
Jamie

TW2-Beaver wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:17 pm We should be offering Staines Town a groundshare next season if they lose WP (and frankly the rest of this season if they will not play at WP). Free of charge but Hampton run the bar. Win win.

This is a great shout.
I know they are historically big rivals, but it would be "massive" (great pun) if Hampton offered to host Staines games until the end of the season.
If Staines fold this summer, that's it, club gone forever.

I'm sure we would all hope another club would help if Hampton needed support?
NickT

TW2-Beaver wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:17 pm We should be offering Staines Town a groundshare next season if they lose WP (and frankly the rest of this season if they will not play at WP). Free of charge but Hampton run the bar. Win win.
With our previous rivalry, I'd happily be in favour of helping the club and supporters out, especially with the friendly idea.
My only problem would be the fact that Mr Dixon would still be in charge of them, this from what I see is the major cause of the problems there.