Best player you've seen at the Beveree...

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

Saw an article this morning on twitter about Jamal Lowe, something about "from non-league to the Premier." It suggested that many Hampton fans see Lowe as the best player ever to play for the club. What does everyone think about that? He certainly was terrific, but the ""best ever?" Strong words...does anyone have other contenders?
Tony

What does "best" mean in this context? Can you compare a goalkeeper to a forward or right back? In terms technical ability on the ball, Jamal is definitely close to being the best I player I have seen in over 50 years watching Hampton at different levels. Craig Maskell also a standout but someone at the end of his career rather than on the way up. Dwight Marshall also a technically gifted player as was Derek Asamoah although he hardly got in the team when Maskell and Leroy Griffiths were in their pomp. Griffiths was another standout player at our level but maybe suffered in comparison from not really making it at the pro level. By contrast Asamoah went on to have a long term pro career albeit in the lower levels of the EFL. And of course Darren Powell whose long pro career showed that he was much more than a flash in the pan. Then you have players like Syd Carter who still holds the record for most goals in one season but can you compare Spartan League 1968 to NLS now with much better facilities, pitches and training regimes? And to throw in a few "old timers," Hugh Lindsay and Peter Farren were outstanding players for their time and place.
Lord Elpus

Oh absolutely it's about context but that's not always easy to find in a twitter article! I'd definitely agree with Maskell and Griffiths though. Both completely unstoppable on their day.
Whoryer

I know you mean Hampton player,but the best overall player I've seen was Jimmy Greaves playing for Barnet against us in the FA CUP in 1977.We lost 2 1 our goal was scored by Alan Cooling our goalie with a long kick that bounced on the edge of the area and went in,and a newspaper photo of him was shown on the Big match the next day.I remember all that even though I was only 8,but until I just googled it I didn't remember it was a 4th qualifying round match and Greaves got the winner in injury time.
TW10

Shandon Baptiste though only on loan has played in the premiership and would be more established had it not been for injuries..
Shepperton Supporter

Would tend to agree with Tony’s remarks. It is difficult to compare players from different eras and league standards. Would it be right to include loan players? Would you include players reflecting their whole career who were with us at the start of their career or towards the end?
In some ways perhaps it might be more realistic to do lists from various eras, 1960s 1970s etc?
What do folks think? We have a summer to put our thinking caps on.
Tony

Whoryer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:02 pm I know you mean Hampton player,but the best overall player I've seen was Jimmy Greaves playing for Barnet against us in the FA CUP in 1977.We lost 2 1 our goal was scored by Alan Cooling our goalie with a long kick that bounced on the edge of the area and went in,and a newspaper photo of him was shown on the Big match the next day.I remember all that even though I was only 8,but until I just googled it I didn't remember it was a 4th qualifying round match and Greaves got the winner in injury time.
[/quote

I too was at that game, aged 16, and behind the goal into which Cooling scored. I remember Greaves spent the whole game running alongside the referee effing and blinding to get any advantage he could. This was in in his heavy drinking period and I remember how disappointed I was to see the once great player sinking to such unsporting tactics. Made it worse that he scored the winning goal. I suppose you could say it worked for him but not how I would want to see football played.
Whoryer

What about favourite player seen at the Beveree?I will probably spell the name of mine wrong he was a winger in the 80's Peter Shonaide.He was very quick and strong,but was never the same after an injury,but can't remember what the injury was.
Lord Elpus

Whoryer wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 am What about favourite player seen at the Beveree?I will probably spell the name of mine wrong he was a winger in the 80's Peter Shonaide.He was very quick and strong,but was never the same after an injury,but can't remember what the injury was.
Peter Shodeinde! Completely agree. Think we even paid a small transfer fee for him. As you say though, a very exciting player to watch.
Whoryer

Yes think you are right about paying a small transfer fee for him,cause I thought it was strange as the club usually finished mid table every season,and there use to be less than 100 at most games if I remember right.I will never forgot in about 84 going to watch Arsenal v Tottenham in the morning and 60,000 being there,and going to Hampton v I think Ware and there only being 81 there in the afternoon
Jamie

It's always hard to compare era, with changes in style of play etc.
I watched the "highlights" of the HRBFC v AFC Wombledumb a couple of weeks ago, the 1-1 draw that basically secured the league for them.

Fond memories of that team and the players Hampton had, but its amazing how much the style of play has changed in just over 10 years. Things are so much more technical, all the players train to higher levels, good on the ball, passing styles etc.

"Best player" can easily be chosen on reputation, or what level they went on to.
In terms of pure enjoyment, and players that excited me and I enjoyed watching....

Barry Moore and Darren Powell were a class act, but then I was in my mid teens, and wouldn't have watched games in the way I do now. But I still remember Barry Moore really just seemed to be outstanding, and Powell was an absolute beast, obviously going on to play and score in the Premier league, truly brilliant he eventually came all the way back as player and manager, and I don't think that's really be truly appreciated, and nothing at Beveree to show his success is strange.
from that era I also remember I think it was Craig Reilly who seemed to have great versatility and played in different positions.

Nick Burton and Pete Barnsby were memrobable centre halfs. Mark Russell was a top goalkeeper, sadly moving to Aldershot before coming back.

Later, the Cordery era, Leroy Griffiths and Craig Maskell obviously amazing, but Gary Holloway was a superb midfielder, I believe he had a few trials with Leroy, and it's a shame he didn't get a chance in the pro game as he was a class act.
Warren Williams was so exciting to watch, the goal against Aldershot running the length of the pitch I will never forget.

There was a loan left back from QPR around that time - Danny Murphy, he was quality!

Then you get into the Devonshire years. Matt Lovett, massively under rated, made saves defying gravity, and his heroics is penalty shoot outs saving and scoring was amazing.
Dean Wells, wow. Total commitment, no way would I want to be in a 50/50 with him, that entire team would run through brick walls, and Hodges and Yaku upfront was frightening.
Can't forget about Ben Wright for his short time, what quality he had.

But then moving away from the area, I don't get to see the team as much, I remember coming back once and seeing Jamal Lowe and within 20 minutes me and a mate saying he's going to play higher.

So many good players over the years, and some of the opposition talent too.
Jimmy Bullard at Gravesend, but the Piper brothers in that team were fantastic, I think they had links to some people involved at Hampton now, so such a shame we couldn't have seen them in Hampton shirts.

Wealdstone had Jermaine Beckford who was brilliant, but his strike partner Jolly was something else too.

Racking my brains now, and know I've missed loads out.