Club Shares

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Brit

New shareholder could possibly be connected financially with the mention of a 3G pitch.
Tony

The 3G project started over a year ago so not directly connected I think but obviously needs funding somehow.
Jamie

The club mentioned that no funding applied for for the 3G and were looking at bank loans, these new guys coming in with financial investment, surely it's got to have some link to the 3G funding.

Has HRBFC looked at funding? I know a club in the Midlands well, who've built £1.6m of training ground improvements over the last 6 months, and 73% of the cost was funding from the Premier League, Football Foundation etc.
Tony

The issue going for grants is that they require the club to provide a certain amount of access free of charge to the wider community which limits the income generating potential. The aim is to generate enough commercial income/ save current costs to help the club become self sustaining at this level. It cannot be the case that saving on external training is enough to achieve the aim otherwise grant funding would be the obvious choice. Therefore, the options are to fund with a bank loan (which would leave the club with a substantial long term debt) or find other sources ( new equity, donations, sponsorship etc) which might reduce the debt need.

I have absolutely no idea if the new shareholders will be contributing to this or even think it is a good idea. They may be more happy to inject new funding that takes away the need for a 3G altogether. Pretty sure they didn’t buy their shareholding to do nothing and the club would not permit the share transfer without having a good idea of their plans.

The 3G may not get planning permission anyway which new shareholders will be aware of also, so I guess they have a view of what they will do if the 3G plan does not go ahead.
Tony

I should also add that the directors of Walton Casuals shave just issued a statement that the club is not financially viable and will either be sold or closed. Rather grim for their supporters.
Brit

With the parking problems, noise restrictions and a sloping pitch coupled with the ground only being on lease it has always seemed problematical as to why anyone would invest in major ground enhancements other than for love and loyalty for the club, which you would not expect from outside investors. Perhaps we could even conjecture wildy on a MKDons type of situation such as WaltonBeavers or similar. Modest improvements and success in reaching the next level would highlight even more the ground limitations.
Lord Elpus

That is indeed wild conjecture! I would have thought a Walton Casuals and Walton and Hersham merger would make much more sense, although I bet even that's unlikely.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:38 pm The issue going for grants is that they require the club to provide a certain amount of access free of charge to the wider community which limits the income generating potential. The aim is to generate enough commercial income/ save current costs to help the club become self sustaining at this level. It cannot be the case that saving on external training is enough to achieve the aim otherwise grant funding would be the obvious choice.
But grants are available!!!
you don't have to give free access to wider community, but it helps.

You have to see what Hampton do offer.
Disability team, tick.
Ladies team, was a tick.
Junior section, tick.

Food bank, community work, education programme that doesn't have sufficient facilities.

The club has lots of avenues that proves it deserves grant money to improve facilities.
Tony

I am only relaying what the club has said and I am sure they have done their research.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm I am only relaying what the club has said and I am sure they have done their research.
Where and when did the club announce this - I've not seen any news articles saying can't get funding?
As a club, never really did utilise Brian Barwick getting an role, his signature on funding applications would have been pretty useful.

The local MP love a photo at the club when needed, perhaps they would return the favour with some support.
Tony

At the recent supporters meeting.
Mucky knees

Jamie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:22 pm
Tony wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:38 pm The issue going for grants is that they require the club to provide a certain amount of access free of charge to the wider community which limits the income generating potential. The aim is to generate enough commercial income/ save current costs to help the club become self sustaining at this level. It cannot be the case that saving on external training is enough to achieve the aim otherwise grant funding would be the obvious choice.
But grants are available!!!
you don't have to give free access to wider community, but it helps.

You have to see what Hampton do offer.
Disability team, tick.
Ladies team, was a tick.
Junior section, tick.

Food bank, community work, education programme that doesn't have sufficient facilities.

The club has lots of avenues that proves it deserves grant money to improve facilities.
The ladies team folded in the summer of 2020.

MK