Season 2022-2023

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
ExRef

24 teams listed for NLS next season. New clubs are Dover and Weymouth (relegated from NL), Worthing and Cheshunt (promoted from Isthmian) and Taunton and Farnborough (promoted from Southern League).
TW3 Beaver

Is it four relegation places?
Tony

Yes
Shepperton Supporter

This means relegation is now more of a threat to all teams, in the future we will see a greater change over of opponents each season.
Lord Elpus

Not wishing to appear to overly pessimistic but I think we'll need to be careful this season. Any club hovering just below midway will spend a lot of time looking over their shoulder and we all know how tight this division can get when it comes to points on the board.
On a related note, it's clearly become increasingly evident that we can't really compete for any of the bigger name signings (Roberts, Pavey etc) and money definitely buys you a higher finish at this level. Having said that, I'm glad we aren't making too many noises about making the playoffs this coming season, it's probably wise. I'd still rather have a club in 20 years time than go boom and bust chasing something unsustainable.
Shepperton Supporter

Would agree with most of Lord Elpus points.
Gary has been managing for many years and has built up contracts with both players and managers which one would hope, will prove useful in recruiting the correct caliber of player. Certainly the need must be strikets as this is where games are won. Wood looks a player with experience and hopefully he will score enough. Who knows we might pick up a couple of players with similar credentials?
Jamie

Lord Elpus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 am Not wishing to appear to overly pessimistic but I think we'll need to be careful this season. Any club hovering just below midway will spend a lot of time looking over their shoulder and we all know how tight this division can get when it comes to points on the board.
On a related note, it's clearly become increasingly evident that we can't really compete for any of the bigger name signings (Roberts, Pavey etc) and money definitely buys you a higher finish at this level. Having said that, I'm glad we aren't making too many noises about making the playoffs this coming season, it's probably wise. I'd still rather have a club in 20 years time than go boom and bust chasing something unsustainable.
Well said.
Much rather the club play at step 3 and be sustainable long term, then push themselves at risk the long term future of the club.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Key dates for next season:

Fixture release date: Wednesday 6th July, 1pm
Opening games: Saturday 6th August 2022
Last games: Saturday 29th April 2023
Playoff: 5th vs 6th: Tuesday 2nd May 2023
Playoff: 4th vs 7th: Wednesday 3rd May 2023
Playoff: 2nd vs 5/6th: Sunday 7th May 2023
Playoff: 3rd vs 4/7th: Sunday 7th May 2023
Playoff Final: Sunday 14th May 2023
Tony

I think it has gone without much comment but Fotmob have ended their sponsorship and not seen any announcement of a replacement yet. Don't know how much they were putting in but will need to be replaced. Any not forgetting utility costs for all clubs will shoot through the roof this season unless on fixed price contracts.
Lord Elpus

Interesting that Fotmob have ended their sponsorship. Might explain the season ticket prices and cautious recruitment.
Jamie

I think it's unfair to say FotMob have "ended" their sponsorship. More the deal came to an end, and they aren't doing a new one.
Good on them for supporting the club the last few years.

Some real big hitting companies in and around the area, be good if the club could get a few on board to really help support the club.