Walton Casuals

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

Even if they gave it away for nothing someone still needs to fund the running costs even after dropping down the leagues. Bit like Staines, what is the point of starting again if your average attendance is going to less than 100 ? If you had a good core support that would follow you even at the lowest level like Aldershot or AFCW you at least have something to play with. Not so Staines or Walton Casuals. On the other hand, Walton & Hersham have started again almost from scratch so it can be done.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:06 am Even if they gave it away for nothing someone still needs to fund the running costs even after dropping down the leagues. Bit like Staines, what is the point of starting again if your average attendance is going to less than 100 ? If you had a good core support that would follow you even at the lowest level like Aldershot or AFCW you at least have something to play with. Not so Staines or Walton Casuals. On the other hand, Walton & Hersham have started again almost from scratch so it can be done.
Walton & Hersham have NOT started again. It is a continuation of the same club, without folding. They had some tough years and got through it. That is the point. You can't have 20+ successful clubs in each division. Some have to have a bad season and be relegated.
Football is not a normal business, you have a duty to pass it on when you cannot give anymore. Giving 5 days or wind up the club is massively wrong - they should have actively advertised that they need a new committee to take over.
You then actively use your contacts to see if local businessmen, or even junior clubs are interested in taking it on.

The way some people on this forum speak, the English pyramid will have half it's current clubs in a few years.

If you have control of a club and have lost the passion or interest, hand it over!!!

I bloody well hope Hampton don't get in this position in the future.
Tony

My point about Walton & Hersham was that they are an example of where the club was given away for nothing to new owners. They would have folded if this had not happened. I think there is still a story to emerge on what happened at Walton Casuals but I suspect that the owners suddenly realised they had to make a decision to halt to avoid trading whilst insolvent, which could incur penalties for directors. Why the very short notice is the unanswered question as they must have seen this coming some way off unless someone suddenly pulled funding or the costs increased to a level the directors were not prepared to fund.