Pre-Season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

Charlton under 23s means the crowd is highly unlikely to be much over 300, if it even gets that high.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am They also wanted us to share the gate with them so not the money making enterprise you may think.
The only thought on this would be if they sent their full side the gate would be much higher and even with their share, we might do better financially than just a few hundred for a under 23 fixture. In addition the catering revenues would be greater.
It might be that a Premier side they would not be interested.
Jamie

Oh my god, it's a good job some of you are in charge of generating income for the club.
It's how you market things! Other clubs getting bumper crowds even when u23 games, putting on other entertainment on in and around the ground, making a day of it.
The way you go on, it would be better to keep the gates closed, and shut the bar.

Clubs need these additional friendly games to boost income.

How about for the Charlton and QPR doing a promotion that ALL the junior team players at HRBFC Youth, get a pass for a free family ticket. 2 adults 3 kids.
Once in the ground they will feel they are onto a good thing, and no doubt spend money behind the bar, food, club merchandise..... if they get a buzz about the place and haven't been before, then the are more likely to come back as paying supporters throughout the season.

Prime opportunity!
Tony

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:27 am
Tony wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am They also wanted us to share the gate with them so not the money making enterprise you may think.
The only thought on this would be if they sent their full side the gate would be much higher and even with their share, we might do better financially than just a few hundred for a under 23 fixture. In addition the catering revenues would be greater.
It might be that a Premier side they would not be interested.
My comment refers to Brentford several years ago not Charlton. I think they felt that they were being invited to make us money off their fans (which is true) so wanted something in return either to cover their costs or just to make a bit of money. In those days they were in EFL1 or 2.
Tony

Jamie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:39 am Oh my god, it's a good job some of you are in charge of generating income for the club.
It's how you market things! Other clubs getting bumper crowds even when u23 games, putting on other entertainment on in and around the ground, making a day of it.
The way you go on, it would be better to keep the gates closed, and shut the bar.

How about for the Charlton and QPR doing a promotion that ALL the junior team players at HRBFC Youth, get a pass for a free family ticket. 2 adults 3 kids.
Once in the ground they will feel they are onto a good thing, and no doubt spend money behind the bar, food, club merchandise..... if they get a buzz about the place and haven't been before, then the are more likely to come back as paying supporters throughout the season.

Prime opportunity!
None of us are responsible for any such decisions at the club let alone who was invited for pre season friendlies or how they should be marketed. Your comments would be better made to club officials. Have you approached them on this and your other questions on floodlights, new shareholders, fans forum etc?
Cliffp

Tony wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am
Jamie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:39 am Oh my god, it's a good job some of you are in charge of generating income for the club.

Prime opportunity!
None of us are responsible for any such decisions at the club let alone who was invited for pre season friendlies or how they should be marketed. Your comments would be better made to club officials. Have you approached them on this and your other questions on floodlights, new shareholders, fans forum etc?
Probably not!
GRTourist

Tony wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am

Prime opportunity!
Agreed. As far as I'm aware, there's no one on this forum who has any role at the club around generating income.

I've noticed that you've got a lot of views on what is absolutely the best way to deliver pretty much everything the club is involved with - even your floodlighting approach is better than the 'number of experts' the club have approached who have all come back with the same answer. Have you offered your services to the club on any of these things?
Lord Elpus

Prime opportunity!
Jamie...it's Charlton. No local interest, their fans unlikely to attend in numbers. Doesn't matter what other superfluous crap we put on, we just won't get a big crowd. No one will have their interest piqued and want to come back after watching us turned over by a load of talented but willowy youngsters. Bouncy castles or whatever don't mean future season tickets. Or even future single tickets. Now a season in and around the playoffs on the other hand...
Adam

Hanworth have tweeted that Saturday is now an 11am kick off.
Jamie

FAO Tony, Cliffp, GRTourist

Yes I have contacted the club on numerous occassions on different things, offering various help, and to work on things.
I won't go into details, as some things are probably best kept private, but it's strange that when people say they are volunteers, have other workloads etc, that then when someone offers help, you don't even get to discuss it further.

Charlton game tonight, but latest news article on the website sayes about Hayes and Yeading change of venue. That took place 3 days ago.
So yes, I expect a poor crowd tonight, but if you don't promote and advertise it, then people won't come.

As for Lord Elpus saying putting on additional things don't attract fans back. Why do you think this? I have worked for football clubs, and done such things which has boosted attendances. People expect more in modern times than just the match itself. Street food, pop up bars etc. Families more more of an experience, and it's also a great way to make additional revenue.

Worcester City v Halesowen just happened, £10 in, included beer festival and first drink included. Attendance was well over double there normal average gate.