First home friendly of the season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW10

Agree with Tony..the team is virtually picking itself. Regarding TMR , I would perhaps have him in ahead of Shokunbi. The young centre half Black has also done well. I don't think many of the others will be good enough unfortunately, especially if the ambition is to be in the play offs...Charlton u23 were all mobile and comfortable on the ball but for all their possession it ended up invariably with the ball with the centre back. They were terrified to take a risk and play forward until the last 5 mins..
Tony

It’s fine margins at the moment and based on just two games. Just feel Shokunbi will get forward more quickly. TMR is probably competing more with Whittingham. Gray will need to be on his toes as well and up the rate of goals and assists. There may be an option to play Barzey in behind Wood like we did with Hill. He’s not really there for his defensive strength. Wood still looked a bit isolated at times with no one reading his flick ons but that should come as they get used to playing together.
Jamie

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:29 pm Report from Charlton.
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/u23s-h ... charlton-2
Well done to Charlton Athletic correctly using our full club name in the heading and in the match report.
Stanwell Beaver

I agree with the previous comments largely, I thought both PSFs, so far, have provided plenty of positives. Indeed, I'd say all of our new signings have shown up well thus far. It's looking quite positive. As regards team selection (at this early stage) I'm always loathe to leave out TMR...but I also agree, with Whittingham, Shokunbi and Gray we have some terrific options in the more central midfield positions. So that's great. Ilic looks terrific so far, really exciting and Barzey's experiences over the summer in the Caribbean look to have really spurred him on. Fernandes looks really strong and capable at the back and also looks to add threat in the opposite box from set-pieces also. For what it's worth.... my starting XI on the 6th would be: Julian, Block, Donaldson, Inman, Fernandes, Miller-Rodney or Shokunbi, Barzey, Whittingham, Gray, Ilic. Backing that XI up Iontton, Hines, Kurran-Browne and Black have also shown up well (or in young Jay's case, his talents have already been presented.)
All in all, I'm really quite excited for a really good season...fingers crossed.
Tony

TMR or Shokunbi? You’ve got to chose one! Managers have to make those tough decisions. Although you only chose 10. No Wood?
Shepperton Supporter

I have not seen the new players so cannot comment on the possible final selection . From what I have read Shokumbi might edge the selection over Miller Rodney. Think we have not finished recruiting, so picking the side might be a little premature.