Rest of the season?

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

The Tonbridge programme editorial expressed the view that we need to stop thinking in terms of rigid start/end dates to seasons. Just pause until whenever fans are allowed in then complete the current season, before worrying about the next.
HamptonMad

TW2-Beaver wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:39 pm The Tonbridge programme editorial expressed the view that we need to stop thinking in terms of rigid start/end dates to seasons. Just pause until whenever fans are allowed in then complete the current season, before worrying about the next.
That's a great idea. Close it all down till its safe and fans can return. Can't believe we are trying to rearrange another game for Tuesday if this is true. We are in lockdown lets return when its safe and legal to travel.
Tony

Practically speaking what would happen if the old season ended in December and you needed to refurbish your pitch in January and February- not exactly grass growing season? Lots of practical considerations that would make this difficult compared to waiting out the Covid situation and starting again in the autumn.
HamptonMad

Yes very good Tony. I see your point. Just listened to the Dorking owner he is not a happy bunny.
Tony

An interesting tweet from the DW official feed tonight. Sailing close to the wind in my view. Clearly no respect for the NL leadership but not going to help the fraught situation. Maidstone now voting for null and void angry with the previous grants distribution.
Tony

Latest publicly declared tally is 16 votes for null and void in NLN/NLS with 16 votes to come. 22 votes is the threshold. Of course depends on Resolution 1 being carried first otherwise irrelevant.
Jamie

Is it fair to assume with what's happened recently that Hampton are looking to finish the season and back McCann on a promotion push.
Hampton added two new players to the squad recently signing them from lower levels where games are not taking place. I assume this increased the budget, or means players who have been at the club most of the season, and are non contract, will lose their place in the match day squad and not be paid - they can't be happy if that is the case.
Also bringing matches forward seems like trying to get more games played to earn wins and improve the clubs PPG if the league is finished using that format again.
If that is the case, then that's a board decision.
However, and this sounds weird, I really hope the club don't achieve promotion this season, even if they can.
To support a team since I was very young, and to achieve promotion to the highest ever level, but not be able to witness the achievement would be horrible.

This isn't a pop at the club, nor the management or players. I just think it would be crap if that happened.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or maybe think worth trying to get promoted if possible?
Tony

The current vote in NLN/NLS is 18 -15 in favour of N&V with 10 to vote including us. 22 is the threshold.

My understanding is that if the league is declared N&V there will be no promotion so PPG doesn't come into it. If the league continues but clubs drop out with their records expunged then we could see us heading up the table as we have played more of the top teams so far- but of course this depends on who drops out.
Rob Overfield

I don’t know what they’re thinking but I would think Jacques and Ben will be looking to see how long they can carry on, should the funding stall on the status quo. The on-field success, although very enjoyable, will be a secondary consideration. Their priority will, I’m sure, to make sure the club survives and continues into the centenary celebrations, whenever they take place.
Tony

The whole situation needs sorting soonest so hope we cast our votes one way or the other. Running down our reserves or taking a loan when promotion looks unlikely doesn’t seem like the best option to me. Better to regroup for a hopefully normal 21/22 season. Players might be financially better off on furlough than having to take a cut in wages and play on.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

HamptonMad

TW2-Beaver wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 pm Tonbridge Angels statement:
https://www.tonbridgeangels.co.uk/first ... CceWkrvh7Q
Very Sad. A load of clubs will go bust if we carry on. Shut it all down till its safe to have supporters in again. Why the Gov let us play in the first place i don't know, no way is this league Elite.