Rest of the season?

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

"Ceding leadership to Marc White" is surely destined to become one of those phrases like "We're gonna need a bigger boat," designed to be used to underplay a somewhat desperate situation.
Rob Overfield

Tony wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm Marc White is now backtracking from legal action as I suspected he would have to. Doubt if all the continuation clubs want to end up suing their own league and potentially the FA as well. Listening to Mark Ives on Ollie Bayliss’ Non League show, there doesn’t seem to be any leadership about what happens next. Feels like they are ceding leadership to Marc White and his rebel alliance rather than coming up with a plan on behalf of all of the clubs.
Until the FA have their discussion and make their decision, there’s not much the League can do yet. They can have discussions between themselves but that’s all there is.
HamptonMad

Top 8 teams in a mini play off to see who gets promotion.
Tony

It makes no sense to me to allow promotion when more than half of the NLS and NLN sides won’t be involved. It clearly gives a massive advantage to clubs who can afford to carry on. If the league were to even think about supporting that idea then I would hope clubs would vote it down. How would a vote even be structured? If you allow NLS and NLN auto vote separately then there will only be one division continuing and the NLN sides like Gloucester who want to continue will be left behind. Creating a new combined NLN and NLS division seems perverse given C19 restrictions and how is that even organised? Promotion and relegation? Start from scratch or somehow include previous results?
Lord Elpus

Totally agree with what Tony says here. To stick my own oar in, it also adds a dangerous precedent in that idiotic but wealthy hobby club owners will know that they can get their own way in the future if they just shout loudly enough and threaten legal action.
HamptonMad

Furlough extended to last till 30th September 2021. When will it all end.
Whoryer

Sounds like the clubs that wanted to carry on might get their wish with a North and South combined league with promotion.Surely clubs in the league above will stop anyone being promoted,and if there is promotion there should be relegation.
Lord Elpus

Whoryer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 am Sounds like the clubs that wanted to carry on might get their wish with a North and South combined league with promotion.Surely clubs in the league above will stop anyone being promoted,and if there is promotion there should be relegation.
This is complete madness and just shows how afraid the league are of legal action. Hope the FA see sense and refuse to ratify it.
Rob Overfield

I’m more scared that they will pass it...
RogerSW

Ollie Bayliss says:
"Following meetings with National League officials, a proposal for a National North & South competition will be tabled.
The combined Step 2 league would result in promotion.
It needs approval from National League clubs, the Alliance Committee (who meet Monday) & the FA Council."
https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 4749890562
!
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

I've been thinking about this most unusual situation and my personal opinion is that I'm fine with this proposal, as long as:

1) There is no relegation from step two.
2) All step two clubs not participating in this "mini-league" can begin next season as usual, at step two.
3) All step two clubs, regardless of how they voted on recent resolutions, are invited to participate in this mini-league.

That being the case, then essentially all that is happening is clubs who are not financially able to finish the season have been allowed to stop with no penalty against them, which seems like a reasonable enough outcome to me. All of that said, I can't see step one clubs voting for this proposal...
Lord Elpus

But it's simply just wrong. You can only be promoted on the back of having the credibility of a season where you have done brilliantly in the league you found yourself in at the start of that season. A hastily cobbled together compromise of a load of clubs who weren't happy with the outcome of a democratic vote does not provide such credibility.