Welling away

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Jamie

Tony wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:44 pm A fair few and I guess a lot of neutrals. Far too few stewards for the size of crowd and no tannoy. Safety announcements by Twitter!
Surely it's a league requirement to have a working tannoy system, and the game should not be able to go ahead without one. Pretty sure it's part of the safety requirements.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:19 am Walton & Hersham v Basingstoke, top of the table clash it is then. Goal machine Eddie Simon going for his fifth hat trick in a row plus a few former Beavers on show.
Eddie Simon obviously getting a lot of publicity for the scoring streak, and will have a lot of eyes on him.

Hopefully Hampton also have tabs on him? Could be really good to take a closer look, and depending on his contract situation, if he even has one, to try and get him in on trial in pre season, with Walton being local he wouldn't have to change much to move to Hampton.... got to be worth a look.

Got to have more of a chance coming good then the lad signed from the same level who had been sitting on the bench at a club lower down.
Tony

I believe he has had offers already from a number of clubs higher up including us but has turned them down. Whether that will change come the close season remains to be seen. He is clearly not playing for money given what I was told on Saturday. His job may make it difficult to play in a full time set up ( he is a dentist).
Shepperton Supporter

Thanks Tony for the background. Can understand why he would not be prepared to go full time, as a dentist he has a profession that will pay well. Interested that we have had talks with him.
Tony

Don’t know if we’ve actually had any direct talks with him. Suspect if he decides to leave he will get some big offers that we might find hard to match. Woking and Dorking will be all over this I suspect.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm Don’t know if we’ve actually had any direct talks with him. Suspect if he decides to leave he will get some big offers that we might find hard to match. Woking and Dorking will be all over this I suspect.
That’s a huge step up in standard of football. Whether he could do it would be the major question.
Jamie

Tony wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:53 am I believe he has had offers already from a number of clubs higher up including us but has turned them down. Whether that will change come the close season remains to be seen. He is clearly not playing for money given what I was told on Saturday. His job may make it difficult to play in a full time set up ( he is a dentist).
HRBFC aren't full time, so gives a good way to have another try.
I wouldn't expect him to leave before the summer as would want to finish the season, score as many as possible, and be part of a potential promotion.
Tony

We may go full time next season.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:08 am We may go full time next season.
I thought Mel stated it might be the following season, but it might be that has been brought forward. When we are safe from relegation there might be some interesting discussions on who is staying if we go full time. I can think of one player who might find it difficult with his employment.
Shepperton Supporter

Any idea as to the date of the rearranged fixture? Looking at fixtures Tuesday 18/4 looks possible?
GRTourist

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:15 am
Tony wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:08 am We may go full time next season.
I thought Mel stated it might be the following season, but it might be that has been brought forward. When we are safe from relegation there might be some interesting discussions on who is staying if we go full time. I can think of one player who might find it difficult with his employment.
If that is the direction of travel, possibly the hybrid model which Altrincham went to a few seasons ago could be the one. Part time for those who need it work-wise, full time for those it suits etc.
Shepperton Supporter

Think you may be right. Mel did mention this type of arrangement. Would suit all players initially, but think we will move slowly to full time.