Those Were The Days; 5th April 1999

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
April 5th 1999
Isthmian League (Ryman) Premier Division
Hampton 2 Walton & Hersham 0 Att; 404
Reilly, Timothy

Mark Russell; Nick Burton, Jamie Beer, Dudley Gardner, Steve Croxford, John Crouch, Craig Reilly, Martin Buglione (Erwin Asselman, 89’), Marvin Blake (Tony Jones,85’) David Timothy, Peter Barnsby.
Sub unused; Tony Quinton

During this period, Hampton were a real Jekyll & Hyde team – in that you never knew what to expect. On this particular afternoon, they turned up and went at Walton from the off. Reilly celebrated his recall with an opening goal, courtesy of a through ball from Beer. Timothy scored late on, upsetting the Walton defence with his pace – and the visiting fans left early!

Marvin Blake joined from West Bromwich Albion, late in the season, before moving on, 8 appearances, 1 goal.

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

Some very good players in that lineup. And I'm pretty sure we had three on loan from WBA...think Jamie McWilliams might have been one, not sure of the other's name.
The much travelled Martin Buglione had been a very good player in his time but he was past his best by the time he joined us. Just a few years ago he turned up on TV's "First Dates" describing himself as an "ex footballer." Some might argue he was already that when he joined us!
Jamie

This is so weird,
but I think I ended up managing Jamie McWilliams towards the end of his career when I was the Bromsgrove Sporting Reserve team manager (the club formed after Bromsgrove Rovers ceased).
Will have to look into this more and see if I can catch up with him, and see if can get a story as to why the weird West Brom player link happened.... wasn't it through former chairman Vic Searle and one of his contacts?

Also, Martin Buglione is one of the worst players I have ever seen play at Hampton, he missed a number of open goals at home to Bognor in the FA cup, then the reply at their place wasted more chances, and we lost on penalties I think.
There was a really funny story of what happened after the second game when us young fans were passing the time afterwards, waiting for the legal age fans to leave the bar to get back on the coach.
Tony

Jamie Mc Williams and James Cooper were the other West Brom loanees. Don’t think they played many games but helped us out of a bit of a hole.
Les1949

Vic Searle fancied himself as a players agent. He also brought in a number of French players to the club to put them on show. Apart from Dominic Jean-Zefferin not sure how successful he was!
Tony

What about Raphael Nade? Although pretty useless for us he did go on to play at a higher level including Carlisle Utd and Woking.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Tony wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:06 am What about Raphael Nade? Although pretty useless for us he did go on to play at a higher level including Carlisle Utd and Woking.
He was a moody piece of work. I recall he had been subbed off in a game, went and sat by himself along the touchline having a strop instead of with his team mates. 11 year old me asked him to sign my programme and he refused!
NickT

TW2-Beaver wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:37 am
Tony wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:06 am What about Raphael Nade? Although pretty useless for us he did go on to play at a higher level including Carlisle Utd and Woking.
He was a moody piece of work. I recall he had been subbed off in a game, went and sat by himself along the touchline having a strop instead of with his team mates. 11 year old me asked him to sign my programme and he refused!
You want to try him being my lodger!!
Jamie

NickT wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:04 am
TW2-Beaver wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:37 am
You want to try him being my lodger!!

Haha, I remember this.
I bet that was fun!