New season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Josh2002

Barzey has struggled to maintain fitness this season, so understandable if he were to move on. Whittaker has hardly featured and would not be surprised if he were to leave too. Rowe has looked decent in parts, but perhaps has not shown the required levels to earn a starting place.
Lord Elpus

For me (and some might not agree) Barzey is never fit enough, and on the rare ocassions he does play, although he shows flashes of inspiration there is rarely any significant end product. I might be inclined to give him a pre-season but no more than that, certainly not a contract.
Shepperton Supporter

With Gray staring the process, I would think players like Thomas, Inman, Fernandez and Wishart might follow fairly quickly.
Julian and Donaldson might also sign, although there might be some folk less sure.
To be honest it is going to be determined by who is coming in. As has been said previously, Mel might be bringing in players he has worked with previously, if so their contracts will not end to 30/6.
Interesting times!
Jamie

I think installing an artificial pitch could have a big impact on who signs for next season. There are studies and reports being worked on at the moment that show a massive increase in long term injuries that have happened on such services.
I know a fair few players across different leagues who have turned down moves for in some cases a lot more money and perceived better clubs, because they don't want to play on such surfaces.
GRTourist

Jamie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:11 am I think installing an artificial pitch could have a big impact on who signs for next season. There are studies and reports being worked on at the moment that show a massive increase in long term injuries that have happened on such services.
I know a fair few players across different leagues who have turned down moves for in some cases a lot more money and perceived better clubs, because they don't want to play on such surfaces.
Have heard similar, but have also heard first hand from players at Hampton and other clubs that it can be a factor in deciding to come to a club. Reasons I've heard are you know you'll be able to get the ball down and play, you're guaranteed a consistent surface and you're less likely to end up playing Tue/Thu/Sat at the end of the season with home postponements. So it definitely cuts both ways.
Lord Elpus

Well given that Gray and Donaldson have already re-signed, we can assume that they're not too bothered...
Tony

I can see Barzey ending up back at Hanworth particularly if they win promotion. His role has somewhat been usurped by Kurran-Browne. Having said that I think he could still win a place if he can show fitness issues are behind him.
Shepperton Supporter

Good news about these two, we all hope they will be followed by other key players over the next few days.
Jamie

GRTourist wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:15 am
Jamie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:11 am I think installing an artificial pitch could have a big impact on who signs for next season. There are studies and reports being worked on at the moment that show a massive increase in long term injuries that have happened on such services.
Have heard similar, but have also heard first hand from players at Hampton and other clubs that it can be a factor in deciding to come to a club. Reasons I've heard are you know you'll be able to get the ball down and play, you're guaranteed a consistent surface and you're less likely to end up playing Tue/Thu/Sat at the end of the season with home postponements. So it definitely cuts both ways.
I completely agree with you.
You also see in some divisions clubs with an artificial pitch do really well in the league, as get very used to the surface, the "home" advantage really playing a part.
The best one I've seen up close was Basford United, which had proper socketed goals (not the stupid ones with wheels that move when someone leans on them), and pop up sprinklers! They watered the surface just before the game, and at half time, gave a much better zip on the surface.
The perfect option would be a Desso pitch, but that's mega money.
Stanwell Beaver

Great to hear that Jake and Ruaridh have committed and re-signed for next season. Personally, I would add Julian, Inman, Fernandez, Whittingham, Thomas and Kurran-Brown to this early list. Others such as Wishart, Dunne, Barzey and Deadfield, I certainly wouldn't turn away and would form the basis of a solid squad.
Up front, it seems an absolute 'no-brainer' to spend whatever it takes to get Moses Emmanuel in from Hayes & Yeading Utd. With 70 goals in the last two seasons, he appears to play every week (so no injury issues) and has previous experience at the appropriate level with Bromley, Wealdstone and Eastleigh. I know he's +30 yrs old, but clearly is still very much in form. Get him in !!!
Shepperton Supporter

I would be surprised if Moses Emmanuel was on our radar.
Tony

Pretty certain we knocked on that door this season and got nowhere.

P.S. looking at the leading scorers from step 1 through to step 4, most are well known to the "market" and many will very likely stay with existing clubs given promotions for their teams. You then have players like Mazzone at Horsham and Nathan Minhas at Beaconsfield who do well at step 3 but never quite make it at one step higher. The step up from step 4 is obviously much more of a gamble though we have approached some of the leading lights over the course of the season and maybe once the season has ended they might be tempted. The alternative is to find someone released out of the pro ranks or deemed surplus to requirements at NL level which often means veteran status.