New season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

Having seen the lad at Walton who scored all the goals a couple of times this side of Christmas, (Simon?) I don't think he's the answer either and could be another Minhas.
tones

It used to be that a team found a young player and brought him up through the ranks. Not only did he then know the club and it's players but he didn't cost a penny. Either Hampton have gone completely the wrong way about building a team for the future or they are hoping for some wealthy benefactor will fall in love with the club. For heaven's sake start putting some effort into producing our own players!
Shepperton Supporter

Well already there are several schools of thought as to where we get a reliable striker. Gary did attempt to get in players from a lower level and generally it was not that successful. The names mentioned have been around before and would be unlikely to do the required job.
Personally I would look further up the pyramid, Alexander on loan at Slough from Bromley has got goals in his loans into our league and is still young. With their contacts both Mel and ? Tisdale might be looking in this area, it might be young players released from pro clubs that they know from apprentice days.
GRTourist

tones wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:56 pm It used to be that a team found a young player and brought him up through the ranks. Not only did he then know the club and it's players but he didn't cost a penny. Either Hampton have gone completely the wrong way about building a team for the future or they are hoping for some wealthy benefactor will fall in love with the club. For heaven's sake start putting some effort into producing our own players!
One of the biggest and most public aspects of the new owners' (and Mel's) plans have been around developing the Academy and doing exactly that!
Tony

I thought that was already the plan? It’s going to take a long time to produce an Academy player capable of scoring goals at N L S level and even then they might just go and sign elsewhere or just demand the same wages as anyone you bring in from outside.
BevereeMaster

If Southend are still having money issues then I would love for us to try and sign Chris Wreh. He is not a starter for them. So first team football, potentially going full time in the near future + a good word from Tommy Davis might get it done https://www.southendunited.co.uk/teams/ ... hris-wreh/
EastTerracer

Shane Dunne also confirmed.
Tony

where you seeing that, not on twitter or website?
Shepperton Supporter

I note that the Irish flags are on Twitter so this might be a clue? We had Scottish flags just before Donaldson.
If so, I know Mel likes him for his versatility, so probably true.
Tony

Posted at 8:33 am but nothing on Twitter until around 10am so guess someone has info direct from the player or club.
Richard

Tony wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:46 am Posted at 8:33 am but nothing on Twitter until around 10am so guess someone has info direct from the player or club.
It was posted on Facebook in the early hours of the morning. Either someone could not sleep or they got the times mixed up on a scheduled post.
Tony

just popped up on twitter.