Those Were The Days; 26th April 2000

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
April 26th 2000

Isthmian League (Ryman) Premier Division

Aldershot Town 1 Hampton & Richmond Borough FC 1 Att; 1,280
Williams

James Courtnage; Peter Wood, Danny Smith, Peter Barnsby, Fiston Mputu (aka Manuella), Jason Shaw, Dudley Gardner (Andy Walker), Martin Carter, Craig Maskell, Leroy Griffiths, Warren Williams.
Unused Subs; Darren Adams & Jamie Mitchell

The Beavers were looking nervously at other results as they were flirting with the relegation trapdoor. Williams eased Hampton’s worries when he was on target in the 45th minute only for Owen Coll to grab a 89th minute equaliser. Fortunately, two wins in the final two games banished all the worries and 13th was the end placing.
Warren Williams had joined from Hanwell Town and made 96 appearances scoring 24 goals. Playing alongside him was Martin Carter whose father, Syd, had scored 60+ goals for the Beavers in the late 1960s.

The Old Historian
Jamie

Some great names on that team sheet,
I really think Warren Williams could have played a lot higher, but commitment and professionalism weren't the best.
I remember one away game having to sit on the coaches waiting ages for him to turn up at Beveree, I think he may have ended up being left behing.

On his day though he was absolutely amazing.
The goal he scored against Aldershot at home, running with the ball down the left, covering most of the pitch before cutting inside and burying it past (I think?) Andy Pape at his near post, was an absolutely stunning goal.
Maybe a clip from Eggy on YouTube, if can work out which game it was. (I think we won 1-0)
Tony

I remember him playing in goal for us at Harrow Borough when the regular keeper didn’t turn up.