Those Were The Days; 21st October 2000

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
October 21st 2000
Isthmian (Ryman) Premier Division
Purfleet 2 HRBFC 2 Att; 173
Barnsby, Maskell

Eric Talbot; Fiston Manuella, Peter Wood, Peter Barnsby, Nick Burton, Jason Shaw, Gary Holloway, Dean Green, Warren Williams (Ashley Leenders), Craig Maskell, Leroy Griffiths.
Unused subs; Derek Simpson, Martin Carter

This away trip to Purfleet turned into an emotional roller-coaster of a day. Reserve Team Secretary, Paul Williams died that morning, then the team coach arrived five minutes after the scheduled kick-off due to some ‘erratic navigating’, the game eventually kicking off half an hour late and to cap it all Griffiths was sent off before half time!
Beavers took a 12th minute lead when Barnsby headed home Maskell’s corner. Purfleet equalised on the half hour when Carthy followed in on Southon’s shot which came back off the crossbar. Shortly before half time Griffiths, reacting to a number of heavy challenges, pushing home defender Barry over and earning the club’s fifth red card of the season. Despite being a man down, Hampton took the lead thanks to another header, this time from Maskell. Carthy scored his second of the game in the 71st minute, to level the score at 2-2. Purfleet had a number of chances to secure a win but resolute defending and good goalkeeping by Talbot kept them out.

The Old Historian
Jamie

I loved watching that team.
RIP Paul Williams, and absolutely amazing guy, when I was playing in the u18s he was always there giving encouragement, even when I made mistakes. Amazing guy.
Les1949

Jamie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:05 am I loved watching that team.
RIP Paul Williams, and absolutely amazing guy, when I was playing in the u18s he was always there giving encouragement, even when I made mistakes. Amazing guy.
Paul died in our house that morning, he had been staying overnight after attending a club function. Paul collapsed in our front room, the paramedic who attended was Gary Robinson's dad - keeper Gary came up through the Youth Team.