Club Colours

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Lord Elpus

RogerSW wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:12 pm As part of our growing militarisation, CSKA Hampton would work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFC_CSKA_Moscow
Well we're near enough to the railway, so how about Lokomotive Hampton?
EastTerracer

Eastbourne (a) - blue shirt, blue shorts, white socks
Chelmsford (a) - white shirt, blue shorts, white socks
Dartford (a) - blue shirt, white shorts, blue socks
Truro (a) - blue shirt, blue shorts, blue socks
Bath (a) - blue shirt, white shorts, red socks
Aveley (a) - red shirt, red shorts, white socks
Farnborough (a) - red shirt, red shorts, red socks
Weymouth (h) - blue shirt, blue short, blue socks
Weston-super-Mare (a) - red shirt, red shorts, red socks
Southall (a) FAC - blue shirt, blue shorts, blue socks
Yeovil (h) - blue shirt, blue shorts, blue socks
Lewes (a) FAC - white shirt, white shorts, white socks
Havant (a) - red shirt, red shorts, red socks
Dartford (h) - blue shirt, blue shorts, blue socks (1st half) , white shirt, white shorts, white socks (2nd half)
Taunton (a) - white shirt, white shorts, red socks

The monochrome streak is broken with a new combination.
Big Rich

The red socks with the white shirt is a nice touch.
Jamie

RogerB wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:27 am
Jamie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:02 am
Big Rich wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:39 pm Red and blue checks perhaps? Like Croatia.
Quarters, like the club badge!
Not been done for decades.
I did a concept shirt for the annivesary,

Not sure how I can attach it here though.
The traditional shirts over the years were halves so shouldn’t it be the badge that changes to fit in with the shirt?

The club originally had quarters I believe.
The half and half shirts would have been done to stock available from the suppliers perhaps, like why different variations are used over the years from different suppliers.
This is the thing people remember certain colour ways as being iconic from the time they started supporting the club.
EastTerracer

Big Rich wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:04 am The red socks with the white shirt is a nice touch.
It is certainly a little less bland.
RogerB

Jamie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:11 am
Jamie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:02 am

Quarters, like the club badge!
Not been done for decades.
I did a concept shirt for the annivesary,

Not sure how I can attach it here though.
The traditional shirts over the years were halves so shouldn’t it be the badge that changes to fit in with the shirt?

The half and half shirts would have been done to stock available from the suppliers perhaps, like why different variations are used over the years from different suppliers.
This is the thing people remember certain colour ways as being iconic from the time they started supporting the club.
As page 13 of Tony Nash's club history tells us, the original kit was "red and blue halved shirts and white knickers". (You're right about the white knickers, Jamie!) . Within a year or two, the white shorts had changed to black shorts. I imagine that lack of funds for a full kit meant that players had to provide their own shorts and black would have been more readily available and easier to keep clean, though clearly in some pre-war photos some well-laundered shorts have faded to grey. This colour combination was maintained right through to 1964. I've been watching Hampton since 1951 and I've never seen them play in quartered shirts. And, incidentally, Jamie in the kit catalogues of Bukta and Umbro, who were the only suppliers at the time, it was the quartered shirt that was regarded as standard and the halved shirt was a special costlier option.
In the 1960's we bought our kit from the same shop as Brentford and when the latter changed their mind about a kit order in 1964, the shop offered us the rejected Brentford kit for a reduced price. That's how we came to wear the red and white stripes. Later on in the 60's, players felt they had more success when playing in the away strip of white shirts so player-power caused the change to white.
Now, I didn't always manage to get down to Hampton in the 1980's when we re-adopted the traditional red and blue so there may have been a season when we used quartered shirts but, if that was the case, it was only one or two seasons out of a hundred.
Jamie

RogerB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 pm
Jamie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:11 am

As page 13 of Tony Nash's club history tells us, the original kit was "red and blue halved shirts and white knickers". (You're right about the white knickers, Jamie!) . Within a year or two, the white shorts had changed to black shorts. I imagine that lack of funds for a full kit meant that players had to provide their own shorts and black would have been more readily available and easier to keep clean, though clearly in some pre-war photos some well-laundered shorts have faded to grey. This colour combination was maintained right through to 1964. I've been watching Hampton since 1951 and I've never seen them play in quartered shirts. And, incidentally, Jamie in the kit catalogues of Bukta and Umbro, who were the only suppliers at the time, it was the quartered shirt that was regarded as standard and the halved shirt was a special costlier option.
In the 1960's we bought our kit from the same shop as Brentford and when the latter changed their mind about a kit order in 1964, the shop offered us the rejected Brentford kit for a reduced price. That's how we came to wear the red and white stripes. Later on in the 60's, players felt they had more success when playing in the away strip of white shirts so player-power caused the change to white.
Now, I didn't always manage to get down to Hampton in the 1980's when we re-adopted the traditional red and blue so there may have been a season when we used quartered shirts but, if that was the case, it was only one or two seasons out of a hundred.
Hi Roger,
That is really interesting for a kit nerd like me, must have been some false information I was given about quarters, but I think it would still work really well for something different one season, and works with the club badge. I love the half and half shirts in the early 90s (with the white shorts lol) I just think the white shorts really set off the colours and made it stand out even more.
Kit washes may be more challenging, but it's not that difficult, rugby clubs always do it better, with walking in after a game and have big tubs of warm soapy water and players putting their shirts, shorts and socks in different containers to soak first.... for some reason footballers have never had the same sort of respect etc, and tend to just chuck everything on the floor for the poor kit man to turn the socks the right way out and so on.
Les1949

I have the programme from the South West Middlesex Intermediate Victory Cup Final 1956/57 played at Beveree on Friday 26th April 1957, k.o. 6.30pm versus Hanworth FC (Beveree by kind permission of Twickenham AFC!).

Hampton's programmed line-up;

Terry Cook; Ivor Griffin, Mike Massey, Ted Brown, Derek Manning, Ron King, M (Jakie) Cooper, Walter Lindsay, Peter Tagg, Alan Duddy, A (Joe) Cooper

Hanworth won 3-1

Hampton colours are listed as Red & Blue Quarters, White Shorts

Also I have a Brita sponsored shirt, red & blue quarters which dates from circa 1988/89. It looks more like a rugby shirt and I think it counts as the ugliest Hampton shirt that I have.
RogerB

Yes, the white shorts bit is correct, we did change to white shorts for one season in the mid 50's, but the quartered shirts bit is incorrect and, I would suggest, just carelessness by whoever produced the programme. Quartered shirts were more common than halved so the programme writer has made that assumption.
EastTerracer

Interesting to have the history. The red and blue halved shirts (such as that for 21-22) look great, better than stripes and the generic plain shirts we have this year. I heard one of the brothers interviewed saying something along the lines of having shirts fans could wear casually but surely that is why clubs tend to also have a wider range of apparel which I note is still being listed as 'available soon' on the hamrich website.
Jamie

EastTerracer wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:29 pm Interesting to have the history. The red and blue halved shirts (such as that for 21-22) look great, better than stripes and the generic plain shirts we have this year. I heard one of the brothers interviewed saying something along the lines of having shirts fans could wear casually but surely that is why clubs tend to also have a wider range of apparel which I note is still being listed as 'available soon' on the hamrich website.
The thing is the collectors and casual wearers actually prefer more funky out there shirts. As I work in the industry I also have an unhealthy large collection of football shirts, the collectors market is huge, but mainly wanting shirts that stand out from the crowd.
The off field range that the Hampton players are wearing is actually white label product that any workwear or clothing supplier can purchase from the wholesaler, Hope & Glory just badge it up with their logo.
The reason it may not be available yet online is because it being out of stock from the wholesaler. This is the problem for brands who use products in this way, as loads of resellers are sourcing from the same available stock.
When the playing kits are custom made as they are this season, it's a big surprise to me the off field clothing wasn't also custom made, as could have been completely unique to the club, and would be able to drive sales for that selling point.
HamptonMad

Les1949 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:09 pm I have the programme from the South West Middlesex Intermediate Victory Cup Final 1956/57 played at Beveree on Friday 26th April 1957, k.o. 6.30pm versus Hanworth FC (Beveree by kind permission of Twickenham AFC!).

Hampton's programmed line-up;

Terry Cook; Ivor Griffin, Mike Massey, Ted Brown, Derek Manning, Ron King, M (Jakie) Cooper, Walter Lindsay, Peter Tagg, Alan Duddy, A (Joe) Cooper

Hanworth won 3-1

Hampton colours are listed as Red & Blue Quarters, White Shorts

Also I have a Brita sponsored shirt, red & blue quarters which dates from circa 1988/89. It looks more like a rugby shirt and I think it counts as the ugliest Hampton shirt that I have.
Yes Les. They did play in Red and Blue quarters. Derek Manning Hampton player used to take me to games.