Middlesex Senior Cup 2023-24

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

TW10 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 pm Defeat was inevitable, obviously have no interest in the. competition.. out of interest was Mel in the dugout?
Steve Bates and Alan Julian were.
Les1949

Every player was a member of the Academy. Only Callum O'Keefe and Charlie George had previously made any first team appearances.
TW10

What is the point of entering the tournament with that approach?? There are plenty of “big” middx sides in the comp who don’t disregard it in this way.
GRTourist

TW10 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:49 am What is the point of entering the tournament with that approach?? There are plenty of “big” middx sides in the comp who don’t disregard it in this way.
We have a squad of 21 players. That includes Alan Julian (injured), James Comley (coach) and Alex Solomon (out on loan). So we have 18 players.

We are 10 unbeaten, in 4th in the league with a great chance to go second, and massive games against Hemel, Braintree, Southend and Yeovil on the horizon, and a chance to progress in the FA Trophy.

Personally, I'm comfortable with playing the Academy in the Middlesex Cup in that context.
TW3 Beaver

GRTourist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:08 am
TW10 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:49 am What is the point of entering the tournament with that approach?? There are plenty of “big” middx sides in the comp who don’t disregard it in this way.
We have a squad of 21 players. That includes Alan Julian (injured), James Comley (coach) and Alex Solomon (out on loan). So we have 18 players.

We are 10 unbeaten, in 4th in the league with a great chance to go second, and massive games against Hemel, Braintree, Southend and Yeovil on the horizon, and a chance to progress in the FA Trophy.

Personally, I'm comfortable with playing the Academy in the Middlesex Cup in that context.
Finally someone understands the reasoning behind the team selection.

Can you imagine the reaction from the moaners on here if some important first team players had got injured if they had been selected last night and missed games against Hemel Southend and Yeovil.

If we had been in midtable with nothing to play for then I'm sure more regulars would have put in an appearance.
Lord Elpus

GRTourist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:08 am

Well put, couldn't agree more.
Jamie

It's a hard one to get the right balance for matches like this when the league is a priority with where the club currently sit.
But I would have expected maybe a couple of first teamers who haven't been starting to get some decent minutes.
The team seems to have been very young, with the u18s being used, isn't there another academy side too that is a bit older? Just going my Steve Bates post match comments.
It's a shame in recent years this competition isn't given much respect, even withdrawing some seasons. With the club where it is now, it would be nice to win it for a few years and catch up the record winners,
but I do get the reasoning by not going too strong with the team. A shame Mel not there and involved also, it is a first team fixture after all.
It was a 10 game unbeaten run. That's now ended, so need to look to start a new one.

A great experience no doubt for all the youngsters, one they can cherish and remember, and maybe spur them on to see where they need to be in adults football, as few will make it at step 2, but they can now have seen first hand they can aim to have a future footballing career at some level, well done to all of them.
GRTourist

I didn't go, but when I saw the teamsheets, I was surprised by the calibre of player in Rayners Lane's squad. Buchanan, Robinson, Keita, Clayton, Casey, Minhas, Jalloh... all of those players have been at various Step Three clubs in the last 18 months and doing pretty well at that level as well.
Jamie

GRTourist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:22 pm I didn't go, but when I saw the teamsheets, I was surprised by the calibre of player in Rayners Lane's squad. Buchanan, Robinson, Keita, Clayton, Casey, Minhas, Jalloh... all of those players have been at various Step Three clubs in the last 18 months and doing pretty well at that level as well.
That's some impressive names, so seems our young lads did pretty well considering.
Josh2002

I think they had a lot of money pumped into the club in the summer.
tones

If the club are not going to be bothered with this cup competition their doesn't seem to be any point in entering it. To say that you are trying to protect the players from injury is absurd. Any of them could be injured in the warm up for the next league game or fall down the stairs at home. At least we might have won the cup as I can't see us winning the league with Yeovil in it this year.
TW3 Beaver

tones wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20 pm If the club are not going to be bothered with this cup competition their doesn't seem to be any point in entering it. To say that you are trying to protect the players from injury is absurd. Any of them could be injured in the warm up for the next league game or fall down the stairs at home. At least we might have won the cup as I can't see us winning the league with Yeovil in it this year.
Let's give up on the League too then, shall we?