Middlesex Senior Cup 2023-24

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

I think we are obliged to enter as members of the Middlesex FA.
Shepperton Supporter

I might be wrong, but as we are affiliated to the Middx FA we might be required to enter the competition. Think many clubs in our league have the same requirement by their county FA. I saw Slough fielded a weakened team against Flackwell Heath and lost heavily.
HamptonMad

Brentford b got beat 2.0 by Hayes and Yeading. And yes you need to enter.
Les1949

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:34 pm I might be wrong, but as we are affiliated to the Middx FA we might be required to enter the competition. Think many clubs in our league have the same requirement by their county FA. I saw Slough fielded a weakened team against Flackwell Heath and lost heavily.
It was always the case that clubs were obliged to enter their Senior County Cup, However, for the past couple of seasons, Wealdstone haven't. Not sure how they get a free pass!
HamptonMad

Les1949 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:08 pm
Shepperton Supporter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:34 pm I might be wrong, but as we are affiliated to the Middx FA we might be required to enter the competition. Think many clubs in our league have the same requirement by their county FA. I saw Slough fielded a weakened team against Flackwell Heath and lost heavily.
It was always the case that clubs were obliged to enter their Senior County Cup, However, for the past couple of seasons, Wealdstone haven't. Not sure how they get a free pass!
Wealdstone played in Senior county cup last season got beaten by Brentford B 3.2 in the quater finals.
Les1949

HamptonMad wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:13 pm
Les1949 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:08 pm
Wealdstone played in Senior county cup last season got beaten by Brentford B 3.2 in the quater finals.
Fair enough, memory failing me (yet again!), however, they certainly did not compete this season.
Jamie

You do have to enter the county cup, it's part of the FA affiliation.
I know the big pro clubs in Birmingham only started again in recent seasons as good work from the county FA to encourage them of the benefits,
Previously they paid a fee to not compete, think someone told me it was about £5,000.
Jamie

I went to Stourbridge v Aston Villa last season or the season before.
Over 2,000 fans so a big bumper pay day for the club.
Young Villa team, but had some decent names, 16 year old centre half who I think Villa paid nearly £1m for, and some others who have been around the first team.

Last season I went to the Alvechurch v Aston Villa game, and it ended 5-5 and went to penalties.

A shame there aren't bigger clubs in Middlesex.

A "London cup" would be good, draw a big name and clubs can make loads of money from it.
Tony

Not sure what these days counts as Middlesex for FA purposes but in theory should include Chelsea, Brentford, Fulham and QPR based on old geographic boundaries. Brentford have been fielding a team I think.
BeaverWatcher

QPR, Leyton Orient, AFC Wimbledon and Charlton play in the London Senior Cup which is run by the London FA, Brentford also enter a team in that competition.

Welling, Dartford, Bromley, Met Police, Hendon and Wingate also participate in it despite also playing in the Kent, Surrey or Middlesex ones as well. In fact quite a lot of teams seem to play in it despite being affiliated to other FA's.
Shepperton Supporter

I remember that the club played in the London Senior Cup in the mid 60s. They had the famous three games with Barnet in 1965.
Lord Elpus

We played in the London Senior Cup in the eighties and made the final at least twice. Kingstonian and Fisher wasn't it?