Braintree home tonight

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
RogerB

Living up north, I only get to see a few matches and wasn't there last night but I was wondering what regular supporters thought of Shane Dunne's performance v Braintree. I've only seen him in three matches but, each time, he's looked out of his depth at this level. He was a regular starter in all the poor displays at the start of the season. Then, against Yeovil, he went off injured in the second half and we got some momentum going and got a goal back. Without Shane, we went on that long winning run, playing much more carefree football. Against both Chippenham and Hemel, he was brought on during the 2nd half and, both times, we lost the initiative and only just got over the line. Last night, when he was in the starting line-up and Tony reports on here that our performance was more like those at the start of the season.
Is all this mere coincidence? I genuinely would like to know what regular supporters see as the merits that justify Shane's frequent selection in the starting line-up, at the expense of, say, Pitblado and Whittingham.
Lord Elpus

We were talking about this last night. He's certainly a very neat player in what he does, and I assume that coming back from (presumably) an injury he still isn't quite match fit yet but I too have been quite mystified as to why Alfie Whittingham doesn't seem to get a regular start. Dunne does look like he works quite hard but often to little avail. Alfie seems to make more impact with his surging runs.
Tony

Dunne came in for the injured Thomas last night and Mel commented that he wasn’t fully fit himself. He has played right back before but to my mind more naturally is defensive midfielder. Without another recognised right back in the squad it was a case of needs must last night. I don’t think Whittingham is really a right back either, much more effective as an attacking midfielder. I would have rather seen Whittingham come on for Hall rather than loanee Nunn who once again hardly touched the ball. Last night apart from a few notable exceptions we seemed to have a collective bad day at the office and I certainly wouldn’t point the finger at Dunne for that.
EastTerracer

Tony wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:55 amI would have rather seen Whittingham come on for Hall rather than loanee Nunn who once again hardly touched the ball.
Yep, and perhaps Pitblado at full back when he came on. Seems the loan defender is a centre back.
geedub

I think we missed JT more than I was expecting last night. Shane wasn't able to provide the occasional attacking treat that JT can and I guess that is why Whittingham was brought on in that position despite being well away from his natural position.

I'm sure I heard that Inman is going to be missing for a month soon as he is off to Australia for a wedding (was said in James Collins' podcast maybe?). I guess Dreyer, the new loan defender, might have come in to help cover that?
Shepperton Supporter

A couple of points.
Pitblado is left footed so might struggle at right back.
As for Dunne, Tony is correct that he has just recovered from injury. If Thomas is unavailable for the next few games then this exposes us at right back. Personally I feel that Thomas, whilst very adept at offensive duties, is less effective defensively if you compare him to Wishart. Ideally to get in a new right back allowing Thomas to play in wide midfield but I am very aware this will bring about its own comments and pitfalls!
Tony

Mel’s programme notes said we are looking to get in two further loan players, one of which is the lad from Peterborough, so maybe some further defensive cover may be shortly at hand.
shaunden

Was not keen on Shane last season and so far not the games seen him play this one .Not enough energy to many mistakes. Thought JT had a great game against Hemel. Mind you if we keep winning and playing well, no complaints.