Dowson sacked by Woking.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
HamptonMad

Dowson sacked by Woking in 20 second Phone call. Please don't come back here.What goes round comes round. We have a loyal Manager in Gary .
Last edited by HamptonMad on Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shepperton Supporter

Reading their forum in recent weeks it has become very likely. Interesting to see where he now goes as well as the players many of whom are ex Hampton.

https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/article ... an-dowson/
HamptonMad

Woking Chairwoman Rosemary. Has gone as well.
Last edited by HamptonMad on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

She resigned as not happy with the way the decision to sack Dowse was made, sounds like she was not consulted. Personally would not be averse to seeing Dowse back at Hampton but suspect he’ll be looking for a full time role. Can’t see him out of a job for long.
RogerB

That's two managers who need interpretors for their press conferences gone in 48 hours.
TW10

I know a few Woking fans and although results have disappointed it is the style of play, lack of tactical nous and some strange selection decisions recently which seems to have got him sacked. They hate his style of football and don't understand his persistence with Josh Casey who many believe is way out of depth especially playing wing back or more recently centre mid. Also they think they have one of the best keepers in the league with Craig Ross but was dropped in favour of Smith for some reason who then dropped a few clangers and points. Finally Kabamba is seen as a poor signing..Dowson gave us a few great seasons and inspite of a huge turnover of players got us a very good side..even managed to pull in Shandon Baptiste and Sany Dieng on loan which is a great feat. Wouldn't want him back though. He may well get a chance at a Woking type size club, maybe in the National league but I do think he is pretty limited as a manager at a higher level.
Jamie

The problem with Dowse ever being linked back to Hampton, is that he massively tarnished everything he achieved by having meetings with Woking in the week leading up to the play off final for Hampton.
I know it was his dream job, but full focus should have been on the final, and surely to Woking and everyone else he would have only got more credibility by saying he wanted no distractions in the lead up to the game. Waiting a few days wouldn't have hurt any party.
What would Dowse's opinion have been if a player had been meeting a club for a potential move in the summer!

Did wonders at Hampton, but I'm still bitter about the above.
Also, it's a bit disrespectful to Gary McCann to speculate about a managerial return when he is still in place.
GRTourist

RogerB wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:13 am That's two managers who need interpretors for their press conferences gone in 48 hours.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony

Jamie, my comment related to the point that if there was a vacancy then I would not be averse to having Dowse back (given the controversy about his departure which for some would be a no go).There is no vacancy, and as far as I can see, the board is fully behind the current manager. Your information may be better than mine but I have been assured Woking's contact with Dowse came after the play off final not before. I am not so naive not to realise that players and managers are always getting approaches via the back door and Woking had approached Dowse a season or two before so clearly he was in the frame, formal approach or not. The big question is whether he would have stayed had we been promoted. We'll never know but I like to think he would.
Jamie

Tony, as we both know there is lots of hearsay and whispers around football. I've been told by a couple of people that Dowse was contacted before the final and spoke with Woking.
If nothing was done until after the final, then I personally don't think there's any controversy at all. Woking a far bigger club, and a club Dowse from what I've heard always wanted to manage. Can't blame him for taking the opportunity for a bigger club, with a bigger budget.
I'd like to think if Hampton had won that final he would have stayed to see if he could keep a little village team in the top flight of non league, but we will never know.
HamptonMad

One thing we don't want Saturday is Dowson hanging around Beveree & Hampton looking for sympathy and putting pressure on Gary. I can read him like a book and know his tactics. I don't want him back ,after he left with all our players to Woking.
Lord Elpus

Interesting article in the local press...

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-23257093