Havant at home on Saturday.

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Shepperton Supporter

One of the more difficult fixtures against one of the form teams whose budget is no doubt greater than ours. It is some time since we registered a win. Fingers crossed!
Depending on injuries , might be an unchanged team.
Jamie

Really with James Roberts was still with Hampton.
Class act.
Lord Elpus

Jamie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:40 pm Really with James Roberts was still with Hampton.
Class act.
Definitely. I bet we can't get anywhere near his wages though.
HamptonMad

Turn the heating in there dressing room on high. Turn the showers on cold. Turn the speakers up high on our music box. And let's run our legs off and beat them.
Jamie

Lord Elpus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:17 pm
Jamie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:40 pm Really with James Roberts was still with Hampton.
Class act.
Definitely. I bet we can't get anywhere near his wages though.

From what I know that conversation would have been pointless after the transfer fee they wanted for him.
Tony

We haven’t beaten the current H&W side for some time and my expectations are not too elevated for tomorrow. It will be a good test of where we are right now. I would probably sacrifice one of Ilic or Barzey and beef up midfield at least to start with as I can see us getting overrun in midfield if we are not careful. We might not see too much possession so need to look after the ball when we have it.
Shepperton Supporter

Would tend to agree with you Tony. It might be that neither Ilic or Barzey start off, as we go with Wittingham from the off in an otherwise unchanged starting lineup.
Shepperton Supporter

Further preview from Havant and some interesting comments on Roberts.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... nd-3819440
Big Rich

HamptonMad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:47 pm Turn the heating in there dressing room on high. Turn the showers on cold. Turn the speakers up high on our music box. And let's run our legs off and beat them.
Grow the grass long, go route one. Up the Hampton!
Tony

Ended 2-3 but manager will be both happy with the performance and frustrated that we conceded three times when on top. We really deserved at least a point having created a number of chances but a combination of good goalkeeping and lack of clinical finishing meant H&W came away with the three points. After a good start when Donaldson was unlucky to see his header saved we conceded a goal after just 6 minutes very similar to the Hemel game, a couple of missed tackles and rebounds before a low finish. We equalised through Wood from a freekick and looked good for pushing on only to concede a second goal on the stroke of half time. Ilic failed to stop the cross wide on the left and we allowed a free header from close in. Second half we started to dominate but Shokunbi and Ilic both missed good chances. Against the run of play Faal scored their third with a low shot which Smith might have done better with at his near post. Apart from that Havant didn’t threaten too much. Ilic pulled one back with 20 mins to go but we lost a bit of rhythm after bringing on Babalola and Whittingham although we still had chances to equalise. Barzey and Shokunbi both went off with injuries, Julian again missed out again with a pinched nerve. Much to admire today all round but need to cut out the soft goals.
Shepperton Supporter

Very fair summary Tony.
Gary, not for the first time this season, comments on defensive frailties and letting opponents get through tackles, as well as not being efficient in the final third in not taking our chances.It does beg the question of how long he will tolerate this before changes need to be made.