New season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
TW10

solid player
Shepperton Supporter

Think Mel likes his versatility. If we get key players to sign then I can understand his signing. We need new players, their quality will go a long way to the measure of success next season.
Tony

Mel’s post Welling match comment was that he already had10/11 very good players but will need 7-10 new recruits which I think is what we would expect. Also said he had budget to bring in 3 or 4 young players for development. Not clear if this in addition to the core squad.
The 10/11 existing players seem pretty obvious. My guess: Julian, Thomas, Inman, Fernandez, Wishart, Dunne, Donaldson, Gray, Deadfield, Kurran-Browne. How many of these are announced before Saturday remains to be seen. Some may of course decide to go elsewhere.
Stanwell Beaver

Shepperton Supporter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:41 pm I would be surprised if Moses Emmanuel was on our radar.
I'm interested why you dismiss this suggestion out of hand? D'you not agree that this particular player ticks lots of boxes.
Shepperton Supporter

I'm interested why you dismiss this suggestion out of hand? D'you not agree that this particular player ticks lots of boxes.
[/quote]

Tony did point out that Moses Emmanuel turned us down at the start of the current season. Knowing Mel it might be that he has other irons in the fire. We shall wait and see.
Shepperton Supporter

Tony wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:23 am Mel’s post Welling match comment was that he already had10/11 very good players but will need 7-10 new recruits which I think is what we would expect. Also said he had budget to bring in 3 or 4 young players for development. Not clear if this in addition to the core squad.
The 10/11 existing players seem pretty obvious. My guess: Julian, Thomas, Inman, Fernandez, Wishart, Dunne, Donaldson, Gray, Deadfield, Kurran-Browne. How many of these are announced before Saturday remains to be seen. Some may of course decide to go elsewhere.
Interesting comment from Mel, obviously the budget has been agreed and presumably is bigger than the current season. The ten players you mentioned would be on most folks list, although perhaps not all will come back?
It is the new players that will interest most of us as they will fill the vital roles especially in attack.
We await news.
Josh2002

Deadfield confirmed as signed.
Jamie

These online announcements are referring to players "committing" to next season,
is this just them verbally agreeing (which is always dangerous, as other clubs can come in and make other offers)
or are they actually signing contracts?

Have the club looked fully into the risk of offering contracts, and the current coverage about the new proposed contracts at non league that are being disputed? Which could go on and cause issues.
Tony

I would imagine that these are verbal agreements at this stage. I read that the new FA standard contracts have been revised following the concerns expressed but maybe some more negotiation to be had.
LouisFell

Why would a club put itself in a position of formally announcing a player is staying for the next season, and therefore setting itself up for the embarrassment of climbing down or of missing out on fees, if it is just verbal? Does the club have a history of this?
TW10

Fingers crossed Inman is confirmed soon
Les1949

LouisFell wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:06 pm Why would a club put itself in a position of formally announcing a player is staying for the next season, and therefore setting itself up for the embarrassment of climbing down or of missing out on fees, if it is just verbal? Does the club have a history of this?
In years past there were very few early announcements of players staying, or even who we were signing. Alan Devonshire was well known for keeping quiet about who he was about to sign. Some will remember , certainly post Dowse and post the Cottingham caretakership, that we couldn't be sure whether or not we had enough players for a 5-a-side team, never mind having 'agreements' in place.