New season

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
BevereeMaster

I might be the only one but this is the first season in many that I am super excited for the summer rebuild. Think the potential signings and the squad we may assemble could be one of the best we have seen in recent years.

is there any players you guys would want to see retained and also any players you would like us to sign, I am curious to hear.
Tony

What budget are you giving us?
TW10

I think Julian, Inman, Fernandez, Wishart, Thomas, Gray are able to play National league so there is your basis..the rest of the squad who are playing regular are strong NLS players..so I would be happy with what we already have plus more up front to support Clifton and Kurren-Brown at the expense of the young fringe players..but who knows what the expectations are and so what the budget will be.
Shepperton Supporter

I too share you optimism. It will of course, revolve around the amount of playing budget that is available to the manager. We have a manager who has spent all of his coaching time at a higher level than us and whose contract list lies there. From what has been said previously it would seem he would draw from these contacts, a player coach might be a possibility. Players who had played at Exeter or other clubs he has been associated with , would be my first area to look to.
HamptonMad

Do you know what Shep. I think we should restart the Club as Hampton FC. Join The Middlesex League and play at Hatherop road. Then all the lovely supporters, helpers and workers that have left can come and watch and support again.
TW3 Beaver

TW10 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:33 pm I think Julian, Inman, Fernandez, Wishart, Thomas, Gray are able to play National league so there is your basis..the rest of the squad who are playing regular are strong NLS players..so I would be happy with what we already have plus more up front to support Clifton and Kurren-Brown at the expense of the young fringe players..but who knows what the expectations are and so what the budget will be.
Haven't seen that many games this season to judge, but you can surely add Donaldson to your list of players to keep.

Clifton isn't our player to keep.
Last edited by TW3 Beaver on Mon May 01, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

The current squad is going to finish 15th at best probably, which was my prediction at the start of the season. If we seriously want to be challenging for promotion next year we need quite an overhaul of the squad particularly in midfield and attack. Defence is reasonably solid but needs supplementing to cover injuries. We need more goals and assists from midfield ( two central defenders are amongst the leading goal scorers) and clearly a forward line that has much more. Attackers in total have barely managed a dozen goals all season between them. £10kpw budget should deliver a playoff place but with some big teams coming down from the NL it won’t guarantee the title. The club may decide that with better coaching evident under Mel we might get a playoff place with a smaller increase in the budget as it is not worth going all in with such a competitive league. If we are doing well then maybe add in a bit more to strengthen the challenge.
Shepperton Supporter

Whilst he remains a good keeper, Alan Julian is now over 40 and as we saw last season, he will be more prone to injury. I saw he is carrying out club ambassador duties, like yesterday at a school, and wondered if he might continue this combined with keeper coaching role funded in part through the Academy. If so, we might be looking for a new keeper?
Tony

Jake Gray has signed on for next season.
Josh2002

Excellent news, player of the season for me. Hopefully the first of many.
Shepperton Supporter

Ref Jake. Agree would have a player who would have been on most supporters list to retain. Hopefully the first of several key players to sign for next season. Excellent idea to get these settled before the end of the season.
Shepperton Supporter

Yesterday Mel took Brazey, Whittaker and Rowe off , does that mean that he is less likely to keep the,?