NLS Allocation 2023/24

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
BeaverWatcher

As expected Bishop's Stortford are shunted North, drawing the short straw once again!

Coming in are Aveley, Truro & Weston from below and Maidstone, Torquay and Yeovil from above

Down in Step 3 Harrow are received as Met Police took a voluntary relegation and are now in the Istmian South Central along with Corinthian Casuals, Hanworth Villa etc
Josh2002

Always seemed the likely outcome with Stortford. Seen a lot of uproar on Twitter, without any alternative solution. I don't know what else could have been done, as they are the logical option having been in NLN previously. Braintree is slightly further north, but they would have to go past Stortford in order to get up north, so the right decision has been made.

Shame to hear about Met Police dropping down a division, although not all too surprised given Gavin MacPherson left to join Enfield Town last week.
Tony

I think being in theSouthern League was too much of a challenge for their finances and they will feel better off back in the Isthmian territory. Only trouble is that they won’t want to get promoted and end up back in the Southern again.
Josh2002

Interesting that tonight Stortford have appealed against being put in NLN. They fail to mention in their statement an alternative as to who should go instead, however.

Can't see the decision being overturned on the basis that they would be the northernmost club in NLS.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Josh2002 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:10 pm They fail to mention in their statement an alternative as to who should go instead, however.
Exactly, the problem with the appeal is no alternative solution. Perhaps if NLS was still 22 sides they might have considered 23 in NLS and 21 in NLN, although that would have set a dangerous precedent by opening the door to challenges and inbalance every year.

I think technically speaking Braintree are further north, but Stortford are closer to road links north. It would be quite funny if their appeal is upheld and Braintree get shunted North 😎
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Having read Stortford's statement they are more or less saying they are just going through the motions as they owe it to their fans to explore every avenue and will respect the outcome. They also have a fundraising page set up to "help with the appeal" so its really just a money making operation 👍
Stanwell Beaver

I saw some interesting mileage calculations the other day, on the back of the Bishop's Stortford issue, which actually showed that Hemel Hempstead Town would travel less miles in the NLN than either Bishop's Stortford or Braintree Town (due to HH's proximity to the M1). I wonder why no-one is questioning why Hemel shouldn't be shunted North ??
Lord Elpus

Stanwell Beaver wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:33 am I saw some interesting mileage calculations the other day, on the back of the Bishop's Stortford issue, which actually showed that Hemel Hempstead Town would travel less miles in the NLN than either Bishop's Stortford or Braintree Town (due to HH's proximity to the M1). I wonder why no-one is questioning why Hemel shouldn't be shunted North ??
[/quote

Hemel themselves have usually kept very quiet indeed on the matter!
Jamie

Met Police voluntary relegation?
If a club chooses to effectively resign from the competition, they should have to go to the bottom. What's the point of competition.
TW2-Beaver
Site Admin

Jamie wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm Met Police voluntary relegation?
If a club chooses to effectively resign from the competition, they should have to go to the bottom. What's the point of competition.
To the bottom of what? They have gone from Southern Premier to Southern Division One (whatever geographical combination they are currently calling it... can't keep up with the silly names) and that is the bottom tier of the Southern Football League...
Cliffp

I think they’ve gone into the Isthmian South Central?

I guess the cost of travel in the Southern League with some long away trips was not sustainable for a club without a huge fan base or wealthy backer. I don’t think Southern Div 1 would have helped much on that side of things either.

I believe Harrow Borough who were relegated from Southern Premier South were subsequently reprieved
DistantBeaver

Cliffp wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:18 pm I think they’ve gone into the Isthmian South Central?

I guess the cost of travel in the Southern League with some long away trips was not sustainable for a club without a huge fan base or wealthy backer. I don’t think Southern Div 1 would have helped much on that side of things either.

I believe Harrow Borough who were relegated from Southern Premier South were subsequently reprieved

Correct Met Police taken a voluntary relegation and are in the same league as Hanworth Villa and also to cut costs
Not much travelling bar Guernsey away in that league