Those Were The Days; 3rd September 1988

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
September 3rd 1988
Isthmian (Vauxhall) League Division 1
Hampton 1 Kingsbury Town 2 Att; 116

Chris Vagg; Clive Marich, Simon Edwards, Tim Hollands, Gary Cambridge, Steve Cheshire, Colin Braithwaite, Sean O’Connell, Ricky Walkes, Sean Rice (Billy Collacott), John KIng.
Unused Sub; Gary McKechnie

There is nothing worse than having an ex-player having an influence when he comes back to a previous club. So it was in Hampton’s game with Kingsbury Town, in the 15th minute, ex-Beaver, Dwight Marshall ran down the left wing and crossed the ball for Gursal Gulfer to score with a left-footed shot. Ten minutes before half time Marshall fell headlong in the penalty area, chasing a loose ball. The referee, some distance behind the play, awarded a penalty, Greg Zacharia made no mistake in putting the visitors 2-0 ahead. In the second half, Rice had an effort smothered on the line then in the 50th minute, O’Connor put King through who lifted the ball high into the Kingsbury net. That was as close as Hampton got to negating the ‘Marshall’ effect.

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

I remember this, as it was my 21st birthday! Don't remember as much about the evening though for some reason...
Yes, Dwight Marshall was an ex Beaver but I'm pretty sure Gursel Gulfer might have been as well, although very briefly. Sean (Declan's Dad) Rice played as well...
RogerB

Happy 56th then Nick!
Lord Elpus

RogerB wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 pm Happy 56th then Nick!
Thanks Roger!
NickT

Lord Elpus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:18 am I remember this, as it was my 21st birthday! Don't remember as much about the evening though for some reason...
Yes, Dwight Marshall was an ex Beaver but I'm pretty sure Gursel Gulfer might have been as well, although very briefly. Sean (Declan's Dad) Rice played as well...
No, Gursel wasn’t an ex, but seemed to be a name that I always remembered causing us problems.
You may be thinking of Gary Gerson