Clubs in Crisis

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
BeaverWatcher

Reading between the lines it would appear that his dreams of getting the council to provide land for a new stadium and him being able to develop the current site for housing and a tidy profit have finally come to nowt. Combined with the fact that he is not the most popular person in Torbay probably means that he has had enough and pulled the plug with immediate effect.

The impact of owners pulling out mid-season are much harsher than pulling out at the end of the season, at least at the end of a season things like player contracts will have either ended, or have very little time left to run. Plus you can have a couple of months to re-group, re-structure and see where you stand. Mid-season with several months still to go make it much, much harder.

Hopefully it will galvanise the Torquay fans for the rest of the season to find away for the club to continue and may put pressure on the council to help support as well.
KewBeaver

It is so sad reading about these clubs.

One has to wonder what would have happened to Hampton & Richmond if we had not had the new ownership team.
I can remember reading in late 2022 that the club's future was in doubt before the takeover happened.
RogerB

KewBeaver wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:17 pm
I can remember reading in late 2022 that the club's future was in doubt before the takeover happened.
The only mention of this that I can recall was made by the new management team! But then , to misquote Mandy Rice-Davies, "they would say that, wouldn't they?"
Tony

The good thing about us was that there was no debt so much easier (in theory) to put together a rescue package even if that meant having to reduce outgoings significantly. Had there been no chance of any new investment then I am sure the club would have come up with a Plan B albeit not one that anyone would have been excited about. As it was, the very fact that we were debt free made us a better case for investment than most other clubs.
KewBeaver

RogerB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:55 pm
KewBeaver wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:17 pm
The only mention of this that I can recall was made by the new management team! But then , to misquote Mandy Rice-Davies, "they would say that, wouldn't they?"
I am sure it was Jacques who claimed that he could not continue to bank roll the club - at the trust forum in November 2022.
RogerSW

The Torquay community rallies to support TUFC, with support from the wider football community
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68394033
Les1949

Rochdale are apparently running out of money and have a vey imprortant meeting with supporters and shareholders coming up (Today's iNewspaper).
TW3 Beaver

Les1949 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:57 pm Rochdale are apparently running out of money and have a vey imprortant meeting with supporters and shareholders coming up (Today's iNewspaper).
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2024 ... statement/
Mucky knees

Maybe Mister Galloway will bail them out???

MK
RogerSW

More bad news. Taunton with financial challenges again.
Their recently acquired tenant Truro City has also upped sticks to Gloucester since the Taunton pitch unplayable at the moment.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68490515
Tony

Torquay still not in administration having filed another 10 day notice of intention to appoint administrators on 7 March. The notice will earn them a 10 point deduction nevertheless. Seems that the owner will write off his loans which will make rescue much easier to achieve (if honoured) and a number of parties have expressed interest. The 10 point deduction will place them just above the current relegation places.