Those Were The Days; 15th February 2000

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
15th February 2000
Isthmian (Ryman) League Premier Division
Farnborough Town 0 HRBFC 1 (Barnsby) Att; 229

James Courtnage; Peter Barnsby, Danny Smith, Matt Flitter, Nick Burton, Jason Shaw, Dudley Gardner, Martin Carter (Leroy Griffiths), Craig Maskell, Darren Adams, Warren Williams (Fiston Mputu).
Unused Sub; Matt Miller

Hampton’s mini revival continued with a strong first-half performance against a lacklustre Farnborough. The heavens opened as the game kicked off, making the surface of the pitch fast and slippery. A Flitter header was turned away for a corner, Adams’s curling cross was met by Barnsby who had forced his way through the melee to head Hampton into a 28th minute lead. Farnborough pressed Hampton back, a Lee Endersby effort was scrambled away and then Courtnage made a save from the ever-dangerous Steve Darlington. A goal up at half time, away from home, was felt to be a good position for the Beavers. In the second half Adams won a penalty but blasted the ball over the crossbar. The game then descended into a scrappy affair. Adams had a chance to make amends but keeper Ollie Rastall was equal to the task. The main talking points of the second half were the debut of Griffiths and, where on earth did the Referee, Paul Melin, get so much injury time from (especially as there hadn’t been many stoppages).

The Old Historian
Lord Elpus

The legendary Leroy's debut! Completely unplayable on his day. Anyone able to confirm where we signed him from?
Mucky knees

I believe corinthian casuals

MK
Mucky knees

Oops sorry wrong casuals! Walton casuals!

According to his wiki page he's still playing for Bedford Town at the age of 47...

MK
Les1949

Mucky knees wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:22 pm Oops sorry wrong casuals! Walton casuals!

According to his wiki page he's still playing for Bedford Town at the age of 47...

MK
You were right the first time MK....it was from Corinthian Casuals that Leroy joined us.
Mucky knees

You can't trust wiki these days they even said he still playing for Bedford Town at the age of 47.which is probably wrong

Mk
RogerB

This was the time when Graham Westley was owner and manager of Farnborough Town and, rather than adverts for local greengocers and ironmongers around the ground, he used to display "inspirational" and "motivational" slogans. It didn't end well!

And, on another subject, there always seems to be one player that I've no recollection of in Les's teamsheets and this time it's Danny Smith. Who was he?
Les1949

And, on another subject, there always seems to be one player that I've no recollection of in Les's teamsheets and this time it's Danny Smith. Who was he?
[/quote]

Defender, signed from Kingstonian. Debut 20/11/ 1989, made 22 starts, 2 subs.
I would put his pic on to help, but have no idea how to do so!
Jamie

Leroy Griffiths no longer players football, when I spoke to a mutual friend a couple of years ago, he said Leroy had taken up boxing,
around the same time he was also the guest ex-pro who played for QPR at a "play on the pitch" at Loftus Road when fans get to pay to play and end of season game.