Bath here on Tuesday

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Tony

We did sign a couple development players this season. One played a couple of games and left and one we got rid of. By and large such players aren’t ready for this level and would be better of getting game time at a lower level rather than sitting it out each week. Unless we are going to run an U23side but even that level of competition is no comparison to NLS.
Josh2002

EastTerracer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:46 pm
Josh2002 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:00 pm If Jake Gray was not our captain he would have been dropped by now, been notably poor for a while. How Deadfield played the full game last night was beyond me, and taking Hunt off for Dunne was a baffling choice, when the latter is a massive liability for me.
I'm not a fan of Deadfield in any game let alone one we need to win. Loses possession far too often. I agree Jake Gray has not been at his best either.

I can only assume Hunt is not deemed able to play a full game whilst he returns from injury.
Deadfield had a great first half to the season and was arguably our best player during our long unbeaten run, but since the turn of the year has been disappointing.
TW10

Agree re the comments on the midfield but really there is no one other than shane dunne to step in.. he played well btw when he came on on tuesday. Crying out for a solid ball winner in the Craig Dundass mould, never saw him lose a header or a 50/50, he was guaranteed to get you up the pitch. Great player, amazing he was around 40 (i think) when he came to us. Must have been some player when he was younger.
Shepperton Supporter

If you talking about a wish list then. I would tend to agree about the type of player for midfield as described above. A strong ball winner who can distribute the ball. A midfielder who can open up defences with a single pass.would be good as well.
Everything will depend on availability and the budget!
Tony

It would be interesting to hear more from the club about the development strategy. We have our own Academy which has been used to fill the bench on odd occasions but not really showing signs yet of supplying any players for next season. Mel said at the start of the season he had room in his budget for three development players but as I mentioned before the recruits have fallen by the wayside. Clearly we are still looking to see if we can recruit from those released out of league academies so await news in pre season as to whether this produces anything. My big question remains, how do you give development players game time if they are not ready for more regular first team football?
Shepperton Supporter

If you look at the present squad, the younger players recently recruited are in their early 20s and have had some experience at non league level before us. To sign on players still in their teens is more risky, they would have to be exceptional and if so, why were they released?
If you are going for promotion then you need some experience, with the continued involvement of Paul Tisdale it might be we are considering players know to him and Mel having played for them. Exeter release players that they had previously been loaned out to clubs in our league so, when they are released are signed by these clubs.
This summer who we recruit will be crucial as it might impact on the future investment which is being currently reviewed.
Tony

Farnborough currently 2-1 up at HT dropping us to 8th.
Whoryer

Taunton goalie sent off after 18 minutes no sub goalie so they got a winger in goal
Josh2002

Tony wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:49 pm Farnborough currently 2-1 up at HT dropping us to 8th.
Now 3-1, leaves us in a spot of bother. Dover now a must win.
Shepperton Supporter

Think it might be the first time this season that Farnborough have been in the playoffs spots. Both Farnborough and Slough supporters think they have a playoff chance. We are out of the playoffs for the first time for several months!
Tony

Think we need to win two of the last three and a draw. Farnborough have much the easier fixtures and we have no form at present.
Last edited by Tony on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Elpus

Looks to me like we've given ourselves a mountain to climb now. Can't see us qualifying now if I'm honest.