My Favourites

Discussion of all things related to the club and first team
Les1949

Having written my last Local History article for the Match Day Programme, after 14 years, I did think (at the time) that there might be a home play-off game that would need another bit of scribble on my part. However, that doesn't now look likely but having gone to the trouble (and deep thought) to come up with something a bit different, I might as well put in on here and now. So, I had decided to put down my squad of my favourite players of the past 35 years (something to pass the time whilst at sea for 3 days!).

I wasn't going to include any current players however the the departure/retirement of two players, changed my plans. I first saw Deano as a youth/reserve player and couldn't leave him out. As I have stated, it is a squad of my favourite players, all of whom I have had - and still (hopefully) have - a good relationship with. The management team caused me a few problems but eventually I went with Gary McCann because when I was out there parking cars and greeting players, club officials, referees and supporters etc, in all weathers, he always made me a cup of tea (and those little touches meant a lot!).

So,

Players;-
1 Matt Lovett; 2 Graham Harper, 3 Brian Bere, 4 Dean Inman, 5 Rob Paris, 6 Nick Burton, 7 John Reilly, 8 Darren Smith, 9 Ian Hodges, 10 Lawrence Yaku, 11 Mark Wilson. Subs; 12 Ian Savage, 13 Gk Mark Russell, 14 Kevin Duffell

Management;-
Manager, Gary McCann; Physio, Gareth Workman ; Gk Coach, Alan Julian
Big Rich

Good choices Les. Nice to hear the story about Gary making you a tea! Top man!
Shepperton Supporter

Good idea Les. It might make an interesting topic over the summer. Personally I would break mine down over eras as the standard of players / tactics has changed over the years.
Lord Elpus

Nice one Les. Now let me get my thinking cap on...
Brit

Les, if your team were to play an imaginary match I would guess that the 'man of the match' would likely have turned out to be Yaks.
tones

One automatic name on my team sheer would be Charlie Moore. We could have done with his goalscoring abilities this season.
Cliffp

tones wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:17 pm One automatic name on my team sheer would be Charlie Moore. We could have done with his goalscoring abilities this season.
He made such an impression on you that you forgot his name was Moone 😂
Tony

What about Barry Moone?
Mucky knees

Tony you mean (Michael) Barry Moore?
tones

It may have been that well known Hampton player from the 1920's who appeared for the team in the South-West Middlesex League.